What is one of the "Best" sheep areas in WYO?

alpinehunter

I am in the process of trying to find one of the best sheep areas in Wyo, seeing how my dad and I are getting close to the top of the PP list. Anyone have any statistics that I could pour over?

Thanks,
Casey

Hi Casey. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm one short of max pref points for Wy. From what I have been able to find out... Area 2 can be very good with some snow to move the sheep out of the park. Often have to wait till the last week of the season. Has some excellent rams. Area 1 has a reputation of being one of the most rugged units. Tough to hunt. Area 3 has good sheep and decent access. Good area to look at. My gunsmith used to guide over there years ago. He claims the best rams come from area 2 and 3. Area 4 has good sheep but the outfitter I talked to last week claims there is really only one great camping spot for where you want to hunt. If it is taken then you are S.O.L. I'm sure there are other camping spots, but they are certainly less convenient. Just what I have been told. 5 is the area that everybody seems to want to put in for. Lots of tags and sheep. One of the largest areas. Have seen some pics of good sheep from there.
Seem to be a number of people with max points applying for over to Devils canyon by Lovell and also the unit by Newcastle. Only one tag for each of those areas. Saw a pic of a great ram from over by Newcastle from 2010. Be a few more years before we could draw those 2 areas. Don't know if that is any help. I'd like to hear from those who have more experience along the same lines.

I have seen mediocre to decent ram from area 5 but haven't been very impressed. Like you said everyone seems to want that area. Most all the guys that I know have taken rams there. If a person could hunt the rams down by Boysen Res then I would be all over that!! :) There are nice rams that come out of area 19 but very limited access. It would be very close and handy for scouting. My uncle shot a ram a book ram in 65' south of Dubois near Wetstone. Other than that I am trying to glean any info I can. Tomorrow, I am going to stop in at G&F headquarters and see what info they have. I'll let you know.

You know we could easily draw certain areas with the PPs we have. I just don't want to settle after waiting this many years.

Casey

I'd be interested in what they have to say at the office. I'm with you. Right now there is essentially 100% chance of drawing several areas with 1 short of max points. I'd rather wait 1-2 more yrs if necessary to get the right area. Are you planning a DIY hunt or hiring a guide? I go back and forth. Once in a lifetime basically.... Bruce

I have always imagined a DIY hunt. Have you looked at the success statistics on the G&Fs website. It runs about 80%+ and a bit better if you have a guide. Guided hunts are usually successful in six days or so and ungiuded in around eleven days, if I remember correctly. I was going to hold off a year or two as I have a big elk hunt coming up. The problem is I am getting all pumped up checking it out, I am not sure I want to wait now, Bruce. I definitely won't settle for a sub par area... that's a fact.

Get any info from the Game and Fish? I have thought about calling some outfitters and asking about success and sizes as well as their preferred areas. Bruce

Bureaucracy seems to be somewhat of a problem so far. The main office referred me to the regional offices. The Cory office sent me a report that I need to look at. The rest were either unavailable till the end of the month or left messages. No one seemed to have an identical type of report as the Cody office. They are helpful just don't have the info readily available or know how to compile it. So today I will look at the report and return a phone call. I will let you know what I find out, Bruce. Let me know what the outfitters have to say, Bruce. Maybe we can get this figured out. :)

I am told that 1 is the most rugged and hard to hunt in the state.
2 can be good. One of the guys I talked to says you need patience to wait for sheep to migrate out of the park. Another hunts there all season long. My gunsmith killed one in there years ago. Was 16 hours on a horse to get to it.
3 is a decent unit. They can spend time in the timber in the earlier parts of the season. Harder to find then. Get a little snow and that changes.
4 has some good sheep. Apparently there is only one really good campsite in 4 close to the sheep and probably water. First come.... Kinda of a sleeper unit. Not many talk about it.
5 is the one that everybody wants to draw. Lots of sheep and a very large unit. More permits for this unit than anywhere else in the state. Some say the biggest rams are in this unit. Others say 2 and 3. Thats it in a nutshell.
Going steelhead fishing to Id. Be gone a week. Bruce

Well Bruce it is down to the wire and I am still debating the areas. I really like 19, 2 sounds like it consistently produces the biggest rams in the state (16 hours horse back:cool:) and then there is my 8,23 shot. The biologist said this area is very rugged and parts of it are NOT horse compatible. I did some searching and didn't really come up any outfitters guiding this area (just wanted photos to look at). The biologist said that if you are willing to hunt for the rams you will get some of the nicest in the state.

Happy Applying....

What do you meen by best, Horn size or classic sheep hunting trip? If size is the only hting that matters go 12 or19 but if you ddon't have max points you will be waiting a few more years. If a classic high country horseback trip is your thing with lots of sheep and a chance at a 170+ ram will do go 3,4 or 5. I like 5 and will be hunting there the next 3 years with friends or for myself. We have 4 tags this year. Area 12 in the bighorns is a pickup hunt if you pay the $1500 trespass fee! Not my idea of a hunt of a lifetime.

Can anyone give their opinion on area 3 vs. area 5 right now in Wyoming for 2013? I have enough points for area 3 but it may take 1-3 years for area 5. Is it worth holding out for area 5 or would you experienced sheep hunters go ahead and try area 3? I know may things are changing like hunting pressure, and tags issued, bad winters, predators and pneumonia die offs can change the dynamics in each unit from year to year. I was looking hard at area 4 but have heard from several outfitters that the herd is in decline there and success rates have fallen off there considerably. I also heard area 1 and 2 are barely holding up although some real slammers sometimes come from those units. I am seeking a good representative type trophy. Any help is highly appreciated from all you experienced sheep hunters.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.