what dies? 6.5-284

dustybrown

I am building a 6.5-284 on a surgeon long action and a broughton bbl. I have a pacific tool and guage removable pilot no turn neck reamer with go and no go guages ordered also.... What dies would be best for me as I am new to reloadoing this cal. I have a rock chucker press... I am planing on nosler or lapua brass. Are bushing dies beter than standard FL sizer... Can I neck size with a FL sizer? Whats a bump die ? shoulder only ?? collet type ?
Is there a difference between winchetser and norma chamber ? Any info would be much appreiciated ... Im only looking for MOA loads at 600 yards. Not F class type setup for now. Money not an issue for the most part... IM just overwhelmed.... lee,forster,lyman,wilson,hornaday,RCBS ????
Thanks

I prefer bushing dies, all mine are Redding. With bushings, you control the amount of neck tension, which has a great impact on accuracy. I bought a Lee collet die, and it is junk.

You can neck size with a standard non bushing die by simply raising the die a 1/8th turn above the shell holder. Bump refers to moving the shoulder back just a tad to make chambering easier, usually after brass has been resized 4-5 times. Read the dies manufacturers instructions before you do so.

Thumbs up on Lapua brass. I know nothing about Nosler brass, but it cannot be better than Lapua. Your reamer manufacturer can tell you which dimensions fit the correct chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.