what dies? 6.5-284

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dustybrown, May 4, 2010.

1. dustybrown

dustybrown Well-Known Member

I am building a 6.5-284 on a surgeon long action and a broughton bbl. I have a pacific tool and guage removable pilot no turn neck reamer with go and no go guages ordered also.... What dies would be best for me as I am new to reloadoing this cal. I have a rock chucker press... I am planing on nosler or lapua brass. Are bushing dies beter than standard FL sizer... Can I neck size with a FL sizer? Whats a bump die ? shoulder only ?? collet type ?
    Is there a difference between winchetser and norma chamber ? Any info would be much appreiciated ... Im only looking for MOA loads at 600 yards. Not F class type setup for now. Money not an issue for the most part... IM just overwhelmed.... lee,forster,lyman,wilson,hornaday,RCBS ????
    Thanks

2. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

I prefer bushing dies, all mine are Redding. With bushings, you control the amount of neck tension, which has a great impact on accuracy. I bought a Lee collet die, and it is junk.

You can neck size with a standard non bushing die by simply raising the die a 1/8th turn above the shell holder. Bump refers to moving the shoulder back just a tad to make chambering easier, usually after brass has been resized 4-5 times. Read the dies manufacturers instructions before you do so.

Thumbs up on Lapua brass. I know nothing about Nosler brass, but it cannot be better than Lapua. Your reamer manufacturer can tell you which dimensions fit the correct chamber.