What’s your favourite hunting arrow?

This is long range hunting. I did not that you could take a deer at 700 yards with a bow and arrow. Learn some thing new every day. Where can i get one of those long range bows?
LR is relative. 100 yards IS LR for archery. If your not a bowhunter, why respond ? Lots of topics in this forum that may appeal to you.

Last edited:
Looking to change arrows, any suggestions?
I've used Gold Tip, Carbon express, Black Eagle, Easton carbon arrows. Cost wise IMO, Gold Tip are a great option. I dip, fletch and setup my own arrows so cost is a bit better buying only shafts. Gold tips seem to be more cost effective while still being a great option. I prefer Gold Tips personally. There all excellent arrows.

Shooting a crossbow at a target at 125 yards vs shooting a deer or game with it at 125 yards is an entirely different story. Crossbows aren't quiet. I might say that 125 yards may be less noisy but speed is reduced giving the animal time to be in another position after the bolt leaves the bow. Unlike a rifle, the crossbow bolt could take a couple seconds to hit the target. I shot a deer last year at 57 yards which I probably shouldn't have but it was relaxed eating in my food plot. Upon the trigger pull, the deer reacted to the noise of the string stopping and crouched. My aim point was at the very bottom of the vitals for that reason. The bolt spined the deer so it dropped at the impact. I wasn't happy with that result. Bolt speed was 405 at that time with that crossbow. I have a slower crossbow today which is 385. I won't shoot at a deer beyond 40 yards today.

Vertical bow, Def con6. I moved to this high foc about 10 years ago, I like the performance a lot. I have had pass throughs on elk every year since the move.
Interesting. How's flight ? I know going heavy FOC on my hybrid flatbow, it's amazing the penetration difference and flight improvement. Slower and trajectory is not impressive but accuracy is great.

I have shot ACC's for about as long as they have been making them. They penetrate better than anything I have ever shot of comparable weight. 100gr heads aren't pulling them through game, but I do have a theory that may or may not be right. I think they are so stiff they do not flex as much as other arrow constructions when they hit an animal. I think the arrow drives the head more than the head pulls the arrow with these. I might be wrong but they penetrate much better than their weight says they should. They are expensive. Never bought any arrows, just shafts. Did I mention they are expensive????

I have shot ACC's for about as long as they have been making them. They penetrate better than anything I have ever shot of comparable weight. 100gr heads aren't pulling them through game, but I do have a theory that may or may not be right. I think they are so stiff they do not flex as much as other arrow constructions when they hit an animal. I think the arrow drives the head more than the head pulls the arrow with these. I might be wrong but they penetrate much better than their weight says they should. They are expensive. Never bought any arrows, just shafts. Did I mention they are expensive????
Aluminum/carbon shafts are a bit stiffer than carbon or aluminum of comparable diameter. Not sure if your theory is correct or not but I don't have one to counter it. I do know arrow weight vs speed in a compound bow has been argued and tested over the years and I believe if I remember correctly that arrow speed won that argument. I think they put a super fast IBO (350 grain arrow) against a 550 grain arrow from the same weight bow. The lighter arrow wound up having more penetration than the heavier arrow in the same target. Not sure what the KE was for each arrow but the penetration test was clearly in favor of the faster/lighter arrow. Chuck Adams was a real stickler for heavier arrows offer better penetration. I'd say on heavy boned big critters, I'd stay with heavy and slower rather than light and faster. I'm in the Chuck Adams camp.

Interesting. How's flight ? I know going heavy FOC on my hybrid flatbow, it's amazing the penetration difference and flight improvement. Slower and trajectory is not impressive but accuracy is great.
The
With 250 spine they fly straight and I am always impressed by how flat the trajectory really is. I spend a lot of time shooting at 80-100, love watching my lit knocks fly at that distance. With the modern bow even "slow" isn't slow. From my experience momentum and high foc makes two holes best.

Black eagle x-impact,,300 spine,ethics archery outsert and Valkyrie Broadheads!! Deadly combination!

Day 6 broadheads are great heads also. I've used 250 EVO's in outserts on carbon shafts with my flatbow. Close to 550 grains but a deadly setup. U can read the label on the shafts after releasing them there so slow but they penetrate like you won't believe. Much better than my older 450 grain arrows did.

Shooting a crossbow at a target at 125 yards vs shooting a deer or game with it at 125 yards is an entirely different story. Crossbows aren't quiet. I might say that 125 yards may be less noisy but speed is reduced giving the animal time to be in another position after the bolt leaves the bow. Unlike a rifle, the crossbow bolt could take a couple seconds to hit the target. I shot a deer last year at 57 yards which I probably shouldn't have but it was relaxed eating in my food plot. Upon the trigger pull, the deer reacted to the noise of the string stopping and crouched. My aim point was at the very bottom of the vitals for that reason. The bolt spined the deer so it dropped at the impact. I wasn't happy with that result. Bolt speed was 405 at that time with that crossbow. I have a slower crossbow today which is 385. I won't shoot at a deer beyond 40 yards today.
Here is what I learned about "Incredibly fast bows" and our skiddish Whitetails over the years.
20yds and under Hit and retrieve is 100% with short blood trails.
21-30 yds maybe 80-85% depending on how calm they are, and the chase may be far
30-40yds 50% or less
40yds+ Pure luck finding him.
Doesn't matter how well you shoot either. The deer won't be in the same place when the arrow gets there. I hear it is much different with Mule deer and Elk. They won't jump the string nearly as bad as our Whitetails, but I've only gun hunted those.
After chasing enough of them, I took all the pins off my sight but one.