Weight savings with aftermarket Bottom metal or DBM?

JMHNL

Hi,

After lots of fruitless searching on this site and manufacturer site, I thought I would ask the group: on a Remington 700 short action with a stock BDL hinged floorplate, would I be able to upgrade to an aftermarket DBM or bottom metal and shave any weight? Curious if this is a good way to shed a couple of ounces and perhaps have the bonus of a removable magazine.

Thanks in advance.

Curious if this is a good way to shed a couple of ounces and perhaps have the bonus of a removable magazine.

The DBM bottom metal I've used (dozens and dozens) weight between 6 ounces and 4 ounces depending on the manufacturer, the alloy and their design. The Remington pot metal BDL trigger guards don't weigh much but there is no contest if you're looking at ruggedness, the DBM wins every time.

DBM will add weight, not shave it.

PT&G makes aluminum factory replacement bottom metal that will shave a bit of weight. It'll drop into the factory inlet, is well finished, and reasonably price. It's what I use on most of my hunting rifles.

I don't like DBM for hunting rifles, they stick down too far and I'm pretty much guaranteed to lose a magazine at the worst time. I like them for prairie dog rifles and range toys, but all my real hunting rifles have floorplate bottom metal.

Ok guys, really appreciate the feedback on this. Looks like I'll be sticking to regular bottom metal, and I'll check out PT&G!

DBM will add weight, not shave it.

PT&G makes aluminum factory replacement bottom metal that will shave a bit of weight. It'll drop into the factory inlet, is well finished, and reasonably price. It's what I use on most of my hunting rifles.

I don't like DBM for hunting rifles, they stick down too far and I'm pretty much guaranteed to lose a magazine at the worst time. I like them for prairie dog rifles and range toys, but all my real hunting rifles have floorplate bottom metal.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.