VX5HD mounting? And rail on top feed question

55stone

Im going to be mounting a leupold VX5HD-3x15x44 on a Remington 700 long action.. after looking at it today it looks like it would be close to mounting but it has such a short tube I don't know if it would or not.. I was going to use a set of talley light weights but I'm unsure they will work. Second part to this is guys running a rail on there top loading rifles do you feel like they are in your way? This will be my only non mag fed rifle so I don't know how bad it would be trying to load largish rounds(7mm Rem mag) with let's say gloves on.. if I go to a rail I will just run seekins rings but was really trying to keep the ejection port open. Just wondering your guy's thoughts! Thanks guys!!!

Here's a Youtube vid with a guy that has it on a Browning Nosler 26. looks like Talley rings. The scope fits, barely. There is another pic of a Sako something. It has a different ring that has a longer base in front and seems to fit the scope better. I hear ya, a rail sux sometimes.

Seems like Ive seen two pcs rails also.My Abolt rail has a cut out at action above for clearance

Last edited:
Yes the rail can get in the way a little, particularly with gloves on. Like many work arounds, training or practice, what ever you want to call it, solved the problem for me. My 700 has a Wyats magazine box, coal is 3.74. Even without the rail you kinda have to nurse them in. Thankfully I've never had to speed reload.
If you are thinking about the Mark4 rings to go on your rail they only come in medium and high for the 30 mm tube. There is too little material to make a low, 30mm Mark 4 ring.
I'm going to look for a cutaway rail, one of these days. Just haven't done so yet.
I have not had any ejection issues.

I recommend the rail. The Warne Mountain Tech to be specific, simply because it doesn't have an extended section the reaches beyond the front of the action. This will allow you the most adjustability for eye relief with a VX5-HD and low rings. It won't get in the way of top loading.

E394FC03-0381-4ACE-A85C-6F6F47E5BD1C.jpeg
8147B670-7B75-46EA-B8F7-30D403DADCCE.jpeg
4DB1CFC9-4F2E-4DB7-935D-954420E973FB.jpeg
I mounted mine with Hawkins rings. I don't like rails on hunting rifles because I carry the rifle and can wrap my hand around the action (between scope and rifle). I put the scope you are talking about on a Ridgeline, which is a Remington 700 Long Action. There is not Much room to move the scope backward and forward, but the eye relief on the scope was forgiving enough for me.

I recommend the rail. The Warne Mountain Tech to be specific, simply because it doesn't have an extended section the reaches beyond the front of the action. This will allow you the most adjustability for eye relief with a VX5-HD and low rings. It won't get in the way of top loading.
I'll take a look, thanks.

View attachment 114486 View attachment 114487 View attachment 114488 I mounted mine with Hawkins rings. I don't like rails on hunting rifles because I carry the rifle and can wrap my hand around the action (between scope and rifle). I put the scope you are talking about on a Ridgeline, which is a Remington 700 Long Action. There is not Much room to move the scope backward and forward, but the eye relief on the scope was forgiving enough for me.

i like those rings how hard is it to see the bubble level when your laying down in behind the rifle since its in front of the turret?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.