Vortex scope

It is a good scope. I currently use the FFP Viper PST in 6-24 power, with the EBR 2-C reticle.
But - I think youmight have something confused...MOA has nothing to do with FFP ( First Focal Plane)

Scopes using FFP or SFP can be MOA, MRAD, or any other unit of measure.

FFP gives you a real advantage if you are looking at ONE thing: No change in your aim point, or point of impact with a change in magnification.
Said another way, a SFP ( Second Focal Plane ) scope's reticle is *ONLY* accurate at the magnification that you zero the rifle to. Then you must adjust/reformulate if you change the magnification.

With FFP - tho the size of the reticle changes as you change the magnification - the aim point does not. Nice advantage.

Both work and I use both. But I favor FFP - when we are talking Vortex - as the reticle at lowest magnification is still useable. Some scope manufacturers FFP reticles are so small they are useless to me.

The idea that the point of impact changes with magnification change of second focal plane only applies to places on the reticle other than the crosshair. The crosshair stays zeroed for the distance where it was sighted in. Same with the first focal plane. Other places on the reticle of the first focal plane don't change with magnification setting.

The idea that the point of impact changes with magnification change of second focal plane only applies to places on the reticle other than the crosshair. The crosshair stays zeroed for the distance where it was sighted in. Same with the first focal plane. Other places on the reticle of the first focal plane don't change with magnification setting.

Rather than parse semantics - let me say it differently:) :

If you zero your SFP scope at 300 yds, such that the crosshair is exactly on the intended target - and the bullet strikes that target AND your scope magnification is at it's minimum or maximum ( - or ANY setting - you pick one...) THEN - while still holding on that same target at the same distance - you change the magnification on your SFP scope - your bullet WILL NOT hit the same place on the target. You will have to compensate for the magnification change on a SFP scope.

"other places on the reticle" - as in windage marks can change as well - because you are changing magnification in total..not only elevation. SO, if are of the mark by .25 in. to the right at your initial zero setting on an SFP, and you increase magnification, you should see that change as well....Magnification is magnification. It is not merely vertical.

Rather than parse semantics - let me say it differently:) :

If you zero your SFP scope at 300 yds, such that the crosshair is exactly on the intended target - and the bullet strikes that target AND your scope magnification is at it's minimum or maximum ( - or ANY setting - you pick one...) THEN - while still holding on that same target at the same distance - you change the magnification on your SFP scope - your bullet WILL NOT hit the same place on the target. You will have to compensate for the magnification change on a SFP scope.

"other places on the reticle" - as in windage marks can change as well - because you are changing magnification in total..not only elevation. SO, if are of the mark by .25 in. to the right at your initial zero setting on an SFP, and you increase magnification, you should see that change as well....Magnification is magnification. It is not merely vertical.

Wrong! Whether you use a first or second focal plane scope your point of impact will not change when you change your magnification setting if you use the crosshair.

I used to own a 4-16x50 PST. For the price you are paying it is an excellent value considering all of the features you get. Great tracking, great reticle options, all around a nice package. I was really happy with my scope until I compared the glass side by side to a higher end scope. At least to my eyes the Viper PST glass has some shortcomings, especially at max magnification. That's not to say it won't get the job done. I've shot a lot of elk with the PST and it never let me down and I never felt like I needed more scope But comparing the glass next to a VX6 3-18x50 (or any other higher end scope), the VX6 has hands down better glass. And although the VX6 is a bit more expensive, they are not too far apart.

On the SFP/FFP deal, wildcater has it right... point of impact at the crosshair center stays the same regardless of zoom on a SFP. The MOA reticle spacing is calibrated at 16x with the SFP PST. At 8x the MOA scale doubles and at 4x the MOA spacing quadruples. On FFP, the reticle decreases in size with decreasing power levels, so the MOA spacing is true to an MOA scale at any power level.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.