Vortex Razor v.s. Bushnell Elite ERS/XRS

Litehiker

So, between the Vortex Razor HD gen II and the Bushnell ERS (3.5 -21) and the XRS (5 -24 I think) it seems that the Top 10 PRS competitive shooters prefer the Vorex a bit over the Bushnell but overall in PRS Bushnell is the dominant scope.

*If you have owned BOTH of these I'm especially interested in your experience.

*If you own just one or the other tell me how you feel it does in image quality, reticle choice and turret operations.

NOTES:
-> I own the ERS 3.5 - 21 because at the time it was the best Horus H59 equipped tactical scope I could afford. I'd rather do reticle holds than dial for several reasons, thus the reticle choice. So far it has been an excellent scope. In other optical products I've owned Bushnell's customer service has been good.

-> But I'd like to get another tactical scope in the future IF they have a good "Christmas tree" reticle like the H59. I think Vortex would be a good candidate.

I own the xrs and it's 4.5-30x50.
to me it's great between 4.5-25/26 and very useable, but loses a little light for those last few powers.

it'll be exactly like what you have now, just higher power, they're tanks, turrets do their job, they're just a great choice.

vortex razors have the reputation as well, but, all I've read would say it'll beat the Bushnell in glass, not tremendously, but it's there.

Bushnell has an extra three power on top.

vortex I believe is illuminated, bushy is not.

vortex outweighs the bushy

I'm pleased as pie with my xrs, I run the h59 as well.

Bushnell is not the overall dominant scope in prs. The gap team is pretty much the only guys who use it. The dominant scope far and away is the Schmidt and Bender 5-25 pmi ll

@Jcub

Yer keerect.

Too bad Vortex and Bushnell's top scopes don't have the highly consistent repeatability of turret clicks found on the S&B scopes. But then ya gets what ya pays for.

@Jcub

Yes the S&B PMI II is the overall preferred scope in the PRS. I was referring to the comparison to the "tier II" scopes of Vortex and Bushnell.

The "Precision Rifle Blog" shows scopes used by the top 50 in PRS over the last two years. Vortex and Bushnell are 2 and 3 respectively.

Ah I see what you mean. The bushy and Razor are 8's on the scope scale. Whoever buys 1 will be more than happy with them.

@Jcub

Yes, on the Tactical Scope Comparison Vortex and Bushnell are 7 & 8.

But on the "What the Pros Use" they are 2 & 3 after S&B in the top 50 PRS competitors.

I guess what I'm saying is that both Vortex and Bushnell make (in Japan ;o) "good scopes for the money".

Vortex seems a bit more into advancing their scopes quality and features than Bushnell and that may be the effect of Bushnell's recent acquisition by a larger company - or not.
Vortex is still family owned and likely more able to be nimble in the changes they make in their products.

In any case I'm happy with my Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 X50 with the H59 reticle. Hope it last several years.

What I meant was in the grand scheme of scopes in general, these are both VERY nice scopes. Better than my grandpa ever had.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.