VLD Seating Stem needed?

jweigel

I have been using Redding Competition dies for seating Berger VLD bullets in my 7mm and 7STW. I ordered the VLD seating stem (7mm = 55728) to deal with the VLD lengths. All works good.

I have 2506 Redding dies on the way and plan on loading 115 VLD. Will go with the Comp seating die again. I see the 2605 VLD stem is not a stock item....like the 7mm was at any online reloading stores.

For you guys loading .257 Berger 115 VLD bullets with a Redding Comp seating die.....do you find it neccesary to replace the standard seating stem with the VLD stem (55751)???

I checked with Sinclair and it sounds like it is a 5 week to 2 month lead time to get this VLD stem.

Thanks for any advice.

jjw
ND

I sent a note to Berger Tech Support to see what they have heard. Would be nice if I could modify (drill ???) the standard stem to get by while I wait.

Thanks again for the advice.

jjw
ND

Best bet is to pull the stem out from the die and put a few bullet tips in it to see if its cupping the ogive properly or if its bottoming out. You'll know pretty quick which one it is. If they are bottoming out on the tip, then you may need to look into a new stem. I have heard of people drilling out a standard stem to accommodate the longer nose but if you don't know what you are doing, you could ruin the stem or cause issues when you go to seat bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.