vld load development

BUSTINDOGS

I just picked up some .308 168gr Berger hunting vlds to use on an elk, deer hunt this fall, I will be loading them in a factory rem 700 30 06, I want to start working up a load tomorrow so I was trying to find where the bullets will touch the lands of the rifling and they will not. I have no idea how far they are jumping looking for some help as to where I should start. My plan is to seat them one cal beep and start from there. I know if I seat them one cal deep they will be jumping at least .300 is this normal for the lighter vlds any help would be appricated.

If you want to yes your magazine, then load to the maximum length and work backwards. If you are going to load one at a time, then use the Berger recommendations.

I think loading one caliber deep or deep enough to fit in the magazine is the way to go. I used the same technique with these bullets in a 300 Weatherby Magnum with good results. There was no way to get the bullets close to the lands.

Yes, I took 4 pronghorn antelope and 2 deer with them and they worked very well.

I also load VLDs in a 25/06 and took a deer with that gun as well.

I got a good start on working up a load today I shot a latter from 57gr up to 60 gr which is a compressed load I had good accuracy all the way up so I settled on 60gr of reloaded 19 using the 168 Berger hunting vld with horandy brass cci br 2 primers and a coal of 3.360

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.