US forest issues kill order for feral cows in New Mexico

I haven't read the entire thread but I do support killing them off in any manner possible. Add the feral horses to the list as well.

I've heard the cattle are in a fairly remote area so not sure how many people are seriously ready for that pack out.

I'll play devils advocate. Coming from Texas where everyone thinks it's easy to just let hunters take care of the hog problem, it's easier said then done. In reality, hunters would likely make a minor dent in the cattle herd prior to scattering them and or making them nocturnal.

If the state wants to ride the land of them, great. BTW, add horses to the list.

Years ago there was 11 wild cows that were running up and down the river where our farm is. They would constantly break down fences everywhere they went. All the ranchers and farmers got together and decided enough. They were shoot on sight after 5 years of destruction.
The last 4 ended up on our place and I have to admit that those things were 10 times more wild than deer, if they saw you or any vehicle within a mile they would run down into the bottom.
Me and my brother hunted them down and after we had to butcher them. Those things were nasty and as tough as boot leather. Much rather eat deer than those things

If they're not going to let us the public shoot them and people are going to harvest them from the air only to leave them lay why not let our ASAF get some practice in and have them take them out? "Too close for missiles, I'm switching to guns", Or Army/Marines Apaches if the terrain wouldn't be conducive to fixed wing aircraft. I mean, if we're going to waste tax payer dollars can we at least do it well, the American way?

Or send in ground units to track and shoot them. Lets get some type of training benefit out of this situation.

I have the most awesome plan that would take care of them and balance the ecosystem. They should have introduced wolves like the one they put in Colorado that had come from a cow killing population out of Oregon, as the story went. Cause everyone know wolves are the most environmentally friendly fix all animal for any ecosystem. LMAO at the who thing. If they could have been hunted and packed out why not let the public do it so people could feed themselves. Get you ribeye cuts and grind the rest in burger if it's tough. I do this with my deer. My kids don't like deer that much but if it's mixed with beef and or pork and ground they never have a problem eating it. I do a 70/30 mix and season. Man our government is so stupid.

This has happened so many times I can't even begin to count them. It just makes no sense ,you could make money instead of spending money by issuing a permit to hunt these animals. Keep your locals happy get the job done and make money instead of hiring contractors and spending money!
That makes FARRR too much sense for the government to even begin to consider. The sheer waste that will occur is a sin in and of itself.

Work versus gain .... is the amount of work and dollars needed to harvest, recover and process the wild cattle going to be worth it....

Look at the production an Elk, Moose, Big Horn, Goat hunt can be or the recently posted Marco polo hunt and let's get down to dollars and cents.

I like to hunt, I like the taste of properly handled and cooked big game, but from a strictly financial standpoint.... the grocery store has it beat hands down.

Now, to go into the bad lands and cull collect process and distribute...it would be a cost and logistical nightmare, never mind personnel.

Then the impact on the region, that such a collective effort would have. You would need ground and air assets to make it work effectively. Disturb the wildlife, possibly damage terrain.

So, would opening a permit to hunt make them money? Well you would have to administer it...So probably any money coming in would be eaten up by staff and other associated costs and if a small number goes for the permit, then you are back where you started and probably in the hole from a financial and a PR stand point.

So Professional Cull came out the cheapest and most efficient choice.

Work versus gain .... is the amount of work and dollars needed to harvest, recover and process the wild cattle going to be worth it....

Look at the production an Elk, Moose, Big Horn, Goat hunt can be or the recently posted Marco polo hunt and let's get down to dollars and cents.

I like to hunt, I like the taste of properly handled and cooked big game, but from a strictly financial standpoint.... the grocery store has it beat hands down.

Now, to go into the bad lands and cull collect process and distribute...it would be a cost and logistical nightmare, never mind personnel.

Then the impact on the region, that such a collective effort would have. You would need ground and air assets to make it work effectively. Disturb the wildlife, possibly damage terrain.

So, would opening a permit to hunt make them money? Well you would have to administer it...So probably any money coming in would be eaten up by staff and other associated costs and if a small number goes for the permit, then you are back where you started and probably in the hole from a financial and a PR stand point.

You make a good point.
But people (all us) don't hunt to save money. We could sure fill freezers with what we spend on hunting. Hunting you get clean holsum meat, untainted by government regulations and colors, preservatives and water added to processed meat and who knows what else is added to processed meat.

And besides we how the government loves to blow through taxpayers money including hired shooters to kill cattle.
And we know how the govement wants to do away with all wildlife so people are dependent on them for food. It's all part of their plan.

Agendas aside...I was strictly looking at the topic at hand...on another note..

Been on the Merry go round on and off since the late 80s , so I understand the concerns, even watched and participated in the great game so to speak...

Does the Government want control...all of them do...it's the nature of the beast.

Remember.." Bread and Circuses"

Once the animal is quartered and deboned it's mine minimal money out of pocket if you already have the equipment and supplies, my time processing doesn't really come into play since the meat is going to last for the coming year.
Processing a beef will take start to finish about 6 hours.

Once the animal is quartered and deboned it's mine minimal money out of pocket if you already have the equipment and supplies, my time processing doesn't really come into play since the meat is going to last for the coming year.
Processing a beef will take start to finish about 6 hours.
Total cost....of the entire hunt....soup to nuts...versus the amount of meat in the freezer...then look at the amount of groceries you could buy.

Yes, we enjoy hunting, but when you want to discuss how money is spent, pet projects and personal likes and wants have no bearing on the bottom line. That is how companies go out of business.

I enjoy farming/ranching but to stay viable I have to account for everything and that includes my hours and how much it would cost, to pay someone to do my job, so I get a wage, just like everyone else here.

So time processing is money spent, plain and simple, time hunting is money spent, you could be at work making more money than you get paid for holiday pay.

So you have to look at total cost.