unable to group

mboone

Just got into long range hunting, I shoot a 1976 Winchester mod 70 7mm mag. Loaded up some rounds using R-22 powder and federal primers and berger 168 vld bullets.

I started at 60 grains and worked up in increments of 60, 60.3, 60.6, 61, 61.3 etc. Shooting 3 rounds letting my barrel cool and repeating until I reached 70 grains and still no group.

The scope is a leopold 3x9 vxII. no issues there. I have used this same gun for 32 years.

Whats going on ?????
Help>>>>>gun)

You have a "group" - but apparently it's not very good. What's the spread? Are you shooting enough rounds on target (at least 5) to obtain results you can analyse? Pictures of your targets might help. Some data on muzzle velocity, weather conditions, distance to target, type of rest you're using, rate of twist, etc. would also be helpful.
Should we assume that it's a 7mm Remington Magnum; not a '76 model rechambered in another 7mm mag? Up front and right off the top I'd say that you might be happier with the results with RL17 rather than the RL-22

Sorry its a winchester model 70 7mm Remington magnum LA. I have been shooting 100 yards with a Caldwell lead speed. 3 shots of each grains. Today I changed powder to hodgens rotumble at 69 grains I had a 2" group. Then at 70.5 grains 2 rounds were touching but the 3rd shot was 2" out....
So I went back and loaded 3 more rounds each at the following. 68.8, 69, 69.2, 69.5, 69.7 then 70.2, 70.5 & 70.7.
Haven't had a chance to shoot these yet.

Just curious, but how does it usually group with factory ammunition, and what kind of ammo/load have you been using until now?

Honestly, I have had this gun for 30 years. Could never get it to group with factory rounds. I was given a hundred rounds or so when I bought it. Then about 18 years ago I reloaded a bunch of rounds. needless to say after several moves and quite reloading until now. I lost my recipe for the loads, that being said i had a about a 2" group at 100 yrds. Which was fine because I hunted in heavy timber.

Looking down the barrel the rifling looks to be fine. I dont believe I have sent a 1000 rounds through it yet.

Worked late today so didn't get to try the other loads yet. Hopefully tomorrow....

Berger VLDs can be difficult to work with. Sometimes they can go from a lot of inches to .5 with seating depth. Two inches seems like a lot but an idea may be to play with the jump or jam.

Berger VLDs can be difficult to work with. Sometimes they can go from a lot of inches to .5 with seating depth. Two inches seems like a lot but an idea may be to play with the jump or jam.

An excellent point, IMO. Those 168 VLDs seem to favor living close to the lands rather than enjoying a short jump. If you've got enough of them left to play with it's probably worth the enjoyment of seeing what they like in your rifle. However, if you have only a few you might want to try 168 grain Sierra MKs or 168 grain Barnes somewhere around 2700 fps.

I believe I am about maxed on my length. If I go any longer they I don't think they will load in my magazine. I have to be pretty close to or with in that 2 thousands of an inch or less jump. which berger states it likes.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.