trying to attain precision with a deathgrip tripod

wildcat westerner

Howdy, I have some very precision rifles and have competed in benchrest matches for three decades. I am now facing the challenge of shooting offhand precisely. This may seem laughable to you, but isn't funny to me. The same rifle I have shot three shots off a benchrest with at 800 yards went in 1 9'16". With that same rifle I am having trouble hitting an Oryx heart/lung target at 200 yards with a deathgrip tripod. This is after one session with 4.5-6.0 winds at 10 o'clock. It would seem the first thing to do is to find out what my zeroes are now in shooting from this device, and that will be taken care of the next session. Seemingly, the most vertical this tripod can be set is the most stable. In attempting to use another bi-pod The bobbing around was truly laughable, and it is noticeably less so, when using this tripod. However, there are obviously subleties to be learned about the right tension to be placed on the rifle and how it affects your sight settings. There must be a most stable position for the shooter to be standing in to provide less wobble. I can see the potential in this device, but I am a long way right now from mastering it. I would appreciate serious input in regard to this challenge.

WW

Practice. I've run multiple tripods for the past 8 years hog hunting. My most accurate tripod is my heaviest tripod. (Manfrotto steel 2 pivot head unit. Manfrotto Alum. Tripod and Hog Saddle). My least accurate is a quick deploy Primos Jim Shockey Trigger Stick. It's light weight does not absorb recoil as well as the heavy Manfrotto.
I've demod the BOG and I put it in the same neighborhood as the Primos Jim Shocky.
Now all that aside.
my advice. Shoot it as close as possible to replicating your most comfortable shooting position. For me that's prone. So my Tripod is designed to shoot with me leaning low into the rifle.
Also learn to use sling with support arm. It literally will absorb straight back for quick follow up shots.
Practice, Practice, Practice!!!

Stabilize your torso.

This is typically the problem with tripod shooting. The gun isn't the problem, it is the shooter that is moving. Try the things mentioned above, but also, try leaning further forward than you'd normally be, or lean back against a tree. When I hunt coyotes, I make a point to either use a ground seat with legs that I can lean back against for stabilization, or I'll set a folding chair tight against a tree. If those aren't options, then I will lean far forward and set the tripod lower than it would seem to be practical, but I'm essentially laying a large part of my torso on my legs. Core strength exercises help with stabilization in a major way.

Try finding some PRS shooters. The Tripod is the favorite friend of a PRS shooter besides a soild rest. Tripod is even used in conjunction with a soild rest (barricade, rock, ect.). Good Tripods go from around $400 to $2,000. Leofoto is one of the less expensive, but good, tripods and they have a wide variety of sizes and attachements for rifles. https://leofoto.com/list.php?cateid=34
Look at universal Mounts for rifle mount.

Thanks
Len & Jill

Oh my, suddenly, its so obvious. When I am trying to grasp the weapon and control it, I AM the PROBLEM. In essence free recoil, without the benchrest. The device, by itself is stable, I am the "wiggle factor". A simple 100 yard accuracy test should reveal whether I can master this technique standing or not. Obviously the pressure I am creating with my shoulder varies, and thus bullet displacement also is inconsistent. Today at the range may be a breakthrough for me. A little bit of intelligent insight here on my part might have lead me to this conclusion, but this forum entry may have saved me hundreds and hundreds of rounds of ammo in pursuit of accuracy, consistent accuracy! Thanks so much for your insight.

WW