TRG-S 338 LM Bedding Fix Report

Perkules

Well, I had to re-do the TRG-S again.

The forend is so flexible, bipod shooting wasn´t still happening when the surprisingly hot summer weather came last week. Now I extended the hard epoxy bedding a tad further in front of the receiver and made so much room for the barrel that it´s getting pretty thin...

TRGSMorebedding.jpg

But now it works with bipod. Recoil also goes right upwards when I do my part. This is my first target after the job, the two separate holes are the last ones from a 75 meter bench where I was adjusting the scope and generally checking things. Then I ran to the car,mounted the Harris and fired three rounds from cartop, 100 meters. Hornady 225 SST, VV N560 , 3100 fps.

Morebeddinggroups.jpg

That was about one week ago. Since then I have fired 3 to 20 rounds every day and now the beast actually stays there, cold or hot barrel - or weather. This stock has been a real pain but careful pillar bedding (I actually changed the receiver mounting angle a bit) and lots of room for the barrel did the trick.

MOOSE BEWARE!

(Hey,talkin ´bout moose: I also have a new pup,a Grey Norwegian again. His name is "Trouble")

Harmi9vk.jpg

Petander

Good to hear from you again and glad you made it through the winter
smile.gif

Looks like you finally got the TRG-S straightened out, thats good news too.

Nice pup, prehensile tail too! My parents had several Elk Hounds when I was growing up at home. Nice dogs but we didn't use them for any work or labor other than to get rid of food scraps.

[ 05-16-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]

ktg,
Is that a McMillan A5 for a M70 with the new bottom metal from McMillan? I talked with Dick Davis and might have him do one for mine. Also, what is the longest cartridge OAL that will fit in the magazine?
TIA,
Wayne

It´s a standard Sako factory brake. I am waiting for a suppressor to replace the brake though.

KTG, please tell us more about your rig.

The mag measures 3.74" inside so a little shorter than that should work. I had my action nickle plated by Robar and a #7 fluted barrel from Pac-Nor installed along with a Tubbs recoil lug so I didn't have to worry about that P.O.S. excuse for a recoil lug that Sako used. I had origially requested an A5 from McMillan and they said it would depend on what the measurements of the action were. After measurements, they said an A2 was the only thing they could do, so imagine my surprise when an A5 showed up. The bottom metal is availabe from McMillan. So after nearly 2 years of waiting, I'm now waiting on a muzzle brake.

[ 05-16-2004: Message edited by: ktg ]

Thats a nice looking Sako. Who did the gunsmithing? Is the threads metric? Some gunsmiths that I talked to, dont like to do metric threads. I also have a TRG-S in 300 mag but wanted a tactical type stock for a long time.

ktg,
I appreciate the info, looks like I'll have a similar setup somewhere down the road.
Wayne

ktg,

Who did you talk to at McMillan? That is exactly what I want to do with my TRG-S 338 LM. I had previously been told it was not available.

Thanks for the pictures. The gun looks beautiful.

Matt

When I got the Mcmillan factory tour in January, they were working on the first trg-s with the new bottom metal. They told me at the time that the only stock they would be doing is the Sako classic factory replacement stock. Shocked to see an A5.

Congrats petander on the stock fix. I've been waiting for your reply on this problem. My father has the same rig as you but with the Swarovski PH scope. He has the same *** stock setup were the recoil lug doesn't even come in cantact with the stock!!! ***!

Ronnie

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.