Transporting a Charged Muzzle-loader

Wlhofer

HI All
Muzzle-loader hunting in Manitoba
I know this has been discussed before but i cant wrap my head around this dumb ...... whatever its called!!!!
Does this even make since, so every time you hunt & it goes past shooting light , how does one empty the charge
with out firing gun , (Not supposed to fire after dark) & if you do there goes $$$ & Supplies hard to get (Not Cheap Anymore) what a waste every day!!
Option #2 getting powder out on the back end one will then have to clean the treads to get plug back in , plus powder will be lost or unusable due to lube on treads. Plus ... cant imagine reusing a damaged slug trying to get it out!
Hunting book States: LOADED FIREARMS A person may not have or carry a loaded firearm in or on any vehicle or discharge a firearm from any vehicle. A rifle or shotgun is considered loaded if it has a live shell or cartridge in the chamber, attached magazine or loading mechanism. A muzzleloader, with a charge in the barrel, may be transported between hunting sites only if the firing cap is removed or, in the case of a flintlock, the flint is removed. When not traveling between hunting sites, the firing cap or flint must be removed and the barrel must not contain a charge.
Guess i am always traveling to another hunting site .... might get there the next morning or evening!!!
We need actual hunters writing these laws , not someone with no idea .... Just saying!!!

I wouldn't leave a ML charged overnight anyway.
I agree from maybe a safety perspective, but from a functioning ability to fire there is no need. It will fire the next day.

I say this with experience with several Inline models, flintlock and Percussion MZS where the charges were over three or so days old.

Back to the question. I would remove the primer or flint, cover the ignition hole and place the MZ in a case safely pointing away or down in direction. Keep in mind, this is only for a temporary amount of time or until the hunt is completed. By all means though contact the appropriate agency an request clarification. Good luck!

Last edited:
In CO we can just pull the cap. I leave 2 caps in the screw holes of the rubber buttstock -- super easy to get to. If there will be snow or rain, I use a muzzle rubber

You could use a CO2 discharge unit

During ml season (10 days)-- I leave mine loaded the whole time. I don't bring it in and out of the heated trailer though-- I leave it in the truck overnight-- no drastic temp changes.

I also use bh209 if that makes a difference.

I do the same as cohunt . Just finished my only 2 days of muzzleloader I could hunt here in Colorado. Pulled the primer after a day of hunting, I discharged the rifle on Sunday afternoon in a safe manner. I was half tempted to unscrew the breech plug and save the powder and bullet seeing how difficult it is to find federal 350 bore locks but decided not to. Here, weather was very low humidity with not to huge of temperature swings. No condensation to worry about if I need to worry at all

Depending on the weather we might change loads mid day. At the end of day is a good idea. While ive never had a misfire, my buddies sure have multiple times.

If you have a break open you can easily pull the breech plug, and carefully push the charge and bullet out the muzzle from the breech end. If you are careful enough you wont get the powder in your breech threads. Then run a patch and you should be good for the next day. Always check the breech hole too. You might be surprised at the condition of your powder sometimes.

Just a question, maybe would make for a good test. I have not, nor ever heard of it being done.

Has anyone ever loaded a ML, hauled it around loaded for a week or 10 days in varying conditions of cold to warm (truck/cabin/field) then shot it over a chrono to check velocity and POI?
I didn't have a chrono...but when I decided to 'test' my 4 day load..after hiking thru trees with snow in them and snow falling from them..I picked a smallish rock at 250yds...I missed the rock..3" right..2" low.........adjustable peep sight......no magnification.......
Seemed good to me.....of course that was just one test......

Just a question, maybe would make for a good test. I have not, nor ever heard of it being done.

Has anyone ever loaded a ML, hauled it around loaded for a week or 10 days in varying conditions of cold to warm (truck/cabin/field) then shot it over a chrono to check velocity and POI?
Yes I have and you get to watch your 250 grain hornady xtp fall between the front feet of a 250 pound black bear 15 yards away!!!!!! Now I leave muzzleloader outside or pull breech plug to clean it all out. That was with Savages ML2 and 4227. Now I'm working on a real smokeless!!

Recent Posts