Titanium target plate???

Mule

I have a piece of Titanium (6-4 alloy) 1/4 in. plate. Does anyone have any experience with this for a target plate. I know titanium is used as balistic armor plate but I do not know what thickness is required or minimum range to be shot at without tearing it up. I can also back it with standard steel to soak up energy. Just was wondering if it would make a good cover type plate for a target

Thanks

Mule

Hi either use it for sompthing else or sell it and purchase some high alloy steel plate. It will likely shattel with a high velocity impact. Titanium is a lot more harder but it is also more brittal so it is not realy good to use for targets aswell as you will have a lot of money left if you sell it and use the correct grade of steel. I know their is a downside of weight but with the correct grades of steel a 3/8" plate should be ample past 500 yards.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Titanium is not used in any sort of armor that I'm aware of. Titanium is a fantasic material if strength in its range is called for but absolute lightest weight possible is needed , like is planes and space craft.
If you look at the charts , its no harder than many good heat treaded metals in fact its acctualy not as strong.

I'd take the before mentioed advise and either use it for somthing else or sell it.

Try to find some 3/8" T1 or AR500 plate , those are both designated armor materials

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.