Tikka T3 rifle 6.5x55 with long bullets

STEEL SLINGER

I have a question for anyone who owns or had owned a Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 Swede. I have a chance to purchase one at a really good price, but I'm concerned about how far out I can load bullets as not to get to deep into my powder charge and also not to have problems loading into a magazine. If anyone can give me your experienced advise I would greatly appreciate it. I have several 6.5 Swede's and love the cartridge, wouldn't mind having this one in my barn if I can load it the way I like. Thank you for any input.

Have one. Currently shoot 140gr AMAX out the short little barrel at about 2450 fps.

If I load the 140gr AMAX to the lands, there is not enough bullet left in the neck. That's COAL of 3.14" give or take a few thou. Looking at a loaded round in the magazine right now, I think one could get out to about 3.33" That's still using the magazine. Judging from my Hornady OAL guage which I pulled out to remind me where the lands are on my Tikka, I don't think you can load longer than 3.33" COAL anyhow, before you jamb into the rifling....

So if you had a long enough bullet, you could seat to the lands. What's more, the Tikka is NOT a short action, so you will have no trouble ejecting a loaded round.

The 6.5x55 military round originally was a 160gr round nose that was a VERY long bullet. This is also why swedes (and perhaps ever thereafter all 6.5s) are built with a fast twist to stabilize long heavy bullets.

Since those old long round noses are theoretically still out there, especially in Europe, Tikka probably put a generous throat in there (but many factory guns are long throated anymore)...

I picked up my Tikka from a hunting buddy who did not reload and was sick of paying through the nose for cartridges. It shoots about 1.5" with factory loads. I have it at around .5 MOA if I do my part with my 140gr Amax load. I paid $600 and that included a cheap Nikon scope. But I knew it was not shot out, and I knew that some of the accuracy limitations he complained of were the shooter and not the gun (did not tell him that!!)

Go for it!!! But be aware that as much as you might get long range accuracy out of it, I think the barrel length and subsequent price you will pay in velocity limits it. I have my click chart out to 400 yards and I fear that much beyond that, the drops will be so severe that even a minor error in range estimation or wind will result in a wounded animal....

Hey, I remembered that I have some 130gr Berger VLD in .264 so I chucked one of those in my OAL tool and I get 3.24" to the lands with the Berger secant ogive. In the 130gr, this will not work -- too little bullet left in the case neck.

But in the 140gr, it just might. Pull up the Berger specs and I think you will find the 130 and 140 VLD front ends are pretty much identical. Just the rear body is longer in the 140gr. How much longer, I cannot say. But for your reference, the 130gr bullet has about .11"of bullet "body" (plus the entire boat tail of course), in the neck. If the 140 bullet is at least .16" longer than the 130, then you might be able to get to the lands.

Dunno. I cannot with the 140 Amax.

In any case, I am nearly certain that your original concerns about having too MUCH bullet in the case and compressing your powder column is not a problem.

I like swedes too. Have only two, the first is a sporterized M94 Carl Gustavs that will put all the bullets in one messy hole if I do my part..... But its a weaker action so I am afraid to push it with hot reloads. And the 17.5" barrel is even worse than the tikka.... And the trigger sucks. And the headspace is long... So its mostly for show anymore.

cdherman,

Thank you for the info you've provided, that is just what I was looking for! I too shoot the 140 A-max's with pride! I think that bullet was just made for the O'le Swede. I have a Remmy 700 (`94 Classic) in 6.5 Swede w/22" tube and with my pet load, there has not been much on two continents that goes far when injected with the A-max. Get you some Reloader 26 powder and watch your little Swede come alive! ! ! I almost think it is magic pixy dust for the cartridge.

My load (for strong modern actions ONLY);

140 gr. A-max
Lapua brass
50 grains RL26
Win. LRP
COAL to ogive 2.495"
2810 FPS ES 17 SD 9

Thanks for your input I think I will jump on it. It is a Tikka T3 Hunter in stainless with a fluted barrel for $575.00. . .I "ALMOST" feel guilty - LOL.

Mine is a Tikka T3 Lite. The Hunter may have a longer barrel, but the basic action should be the same.

The T3 lite is truly a lite weight weapon. The Hunter less so I think, but probably a shooter too.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.