Tight WSM cases after sizing

jon12

After i shoot a box of new win 270 WSM brass in my model 70 they chamber with very little resistance(just alittle bit more than new). I can just barely feel the fired cases contact the inside of the chamber when i close the bolt. After I neck size them, even if ijust go about halfway down the neck, with my RCBS FLS die, the cases are very tight in the chamber. Why would they be tighter in the chamber after neck sizing than before? Is it possible that when the die sizes the neck, it is also contacting the body further down the case and somehow pushing it out?? I am very confused about this. If I screw the die down to where it touches the shell holder and totally full length size the cases, they will chamber with no resistance, but they are very very tight anything short of full length sizing.

Whats going on?

What can I do?

Thanks.

I'll bet that you are not using a "neck" sizing die are you?

Whoops, just seen where you said you are using a FL die....that's your problem, you must/should use a "ncek" die only, it will solve your problem.

Been there - done that.
----------
Zod

[ 06-03-2004: Message edited by: Zod ]

jon12
With the die set up to partial resize you are causing the case to grow ie. sholder moving forward. With the die set up to full length size everything is all right. If you don't have a guage to measure sholder set back ( about .002) then adjust die upwards untill you just feel contact then back off a little, chambering a case. Stoney point tool is rather cheap and allows you to use the full length die to partial size.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.