Wsm cases

flacracker

Are all wsm cases the same size or do they vary by caliber. The reason for this question is a new
attempt at a long range rifle. I want to neck a wsm case down to a'.264 to match or surpass the 264 Winchester magnum. Can I do it?

Thanks. Pete

Interesting idea! I think a 264WSM sounds pretty cool. To answer your question all the WSMs(270,7mm,300,325) use the 300WSM as a parent case so if I am not mistaken they are all the same. As far as how powerful it will be compared to the original 264 mag I have no idea but keep us posted on what you find.

the 7mm WSM shoulder is moved slightly forward so it won't chamber in a 270 wsm. Other than that the WSM's are all the same except for neck diameter. A buddy of mine built a 6.5mm WSM and came close but could not exceed velocities of my .264 win mag reloads. Just one example. Every barrel is different.

Last edited:
poke around and run a search you will find plenty of threads about 6.5wsm and 6.5rsaum on this site. I think the 6.5rsaum is close to the 6.5 rem mag, maybe a bit hotter with the higher pressure rating.

anyway, I would use 270wsm cases to start with if you decide to go the wsm route...?

I have been toying with the idea of a 6.5-25wssm. Using RL17 you can exceed 2950fps with the 140class bullets with significantly less powder. Not quite as wild as a 6.5wsm but that is too hard on barrels for my liking.

6.5WSM are commonly called 6.5-300WSM.

270WSM and 300WSM cases are the same length at the shoulder. As stated above 7MM WSM have a longer shoulder.

270WSM brass works better for necking down as you lose less cases than when necking down the 300WSM case to 6.5MM.

If you look for dies they will be under 6.5x300WSM assuming you go with that reamer.

The 6.5-300WSM is also called a 6.5 Leopard (WSM).

In addition there is another version, the 6.5 Rock where the shoulder is pushed back 0.100.

The 6.5WSM is a great choice for a fast 6.5 wildcat, but may be a barrel burner ...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.