Suggestions/ information on unit 7 and 9

revturbo9967

im planning a DIY hunt for 2016 in Wyoming and im starting to narrow down some units. i have 1 PP and plan on hunting for at least 4 days. I would like to stay in a hotel but will camp if i need to. the 2 units i have narrowed down are 7 and 9. i know nothing of these areas or of Wyoming lope hunting at all, other then what ive read, so any comments, information or concerns would be very helpful. im also open to any other suggested units.

thank you

Im leaning toward 9 since we have no points and arent necessarily trophy hunting. We are looking to get a couple doe tags as well to do some freezer filling along the way.

Even though both units show as hard to access public land they do both have thousands of private acres enrolled in the WIHA (Walkin Hunting Areas) program. Both would be easy to draw with 1 PP. However, it's definitely not a sure thing with no PPs if you look at the draw odds. There were only 25 random tags issued in unit 7 last year in that draw and there were 204 first choice applicants for those tags. There were 119 tags issued in unit 9 and there was 320 first choice applicants. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Yeah, I've been looking through draw odds a bit and trying to the higher math and figure my best bets. I'm currently leaning toward unit 9 for a first choice and haven't decided on any others so far. Even if we cant pull any antelope tags, we are going to try to get doe tags regardless. I'm open to hunt different areas altogether if anyone has better info though

FWIW I bow hunted in 29 just adjacent to and very close to the western boundary of 9 in 2014 on an OTC tag. I only saw "okay" bucks over the course of five days. I was so close to the edge of 9 I could have flung an arrow over in a few spots. I know that's not very specific but overall I would not likely go back to that area this year or any year.

Robert

im still contemplating on going or not. ive never hunted the state before and will be driving 35 hours + to get there as well as going solo.

We are definitely going, just need to figure out what area to apply for and get the last of the camp gear together. We are not nailed on to any particular area yet, just looking to get good odds on a buck tag with no points and be in the neighborhood of a place with otc doe tags

I was just talking about this hunt .. I have 1pp and was wondering if a diy SOLO hunt possible since there isn't much public land in those units ..

Any info will help

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.