Successful first antelope hunt!

ksrifle

My girlfriend and I recently filled all our tags on a Wyoming area 9 antelope hunt!

Both of the bucks were heart shots at 290-300 yards and both bucks had a large split in the bottom of the brisket. Is this normal? I've never seen this happen on the local whitetail deer.

Attachments

• 20151020_181459.jpg
    20151020_181459.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 20151019_133056-1.jpg
    20151019_133056-1.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 20151019_133011.jpg
    20151019_133011.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 133
Depends on what caliber and bullets you were using to wack those small critters! A .243 is plenty big enough for antelope IMHO and a 25-06 is as high as I will go on them and I always try to shoot them back in the ribs through the lungs to stay away from the shoulder area that can really be a mess if you hit it.

My rifle is a 25-06 with 115 grain Nosler ballistic tips. Hers is a 243 with 95 grain ballistic tips.

My brother got his first goat near Buffalo this year and same thing happened, albeit he was shooting a .270 WSM at about 180 yards... not only split the brisket but blew out about 8 inches of the bottom of the rib cage, literally blew OUT the heart and lungs. The antelope reared up and keeled over on it's back and didn't even kick.

His comment "Next year I am bringing my .243"

Thanks for the input. Although I don't feel over gunned by any means, it is apparent that antelope are somewhat fragile and easy to kill.

Thanks for the input. Although I don't feel over gunned by any means, it is apparent that antelope are somewhat fragile and easy to kill.

If you reload or know someone that will do it for you, try the Hornady BTSP or SP in 100 grain for her .243 and 117 grainers in your 25-06. That's all I use in my .243 Sako and 25-06 Ruger M77 for antelope out there and I've never had any severe damage with any I've shot through the ribs.

25-06: 110 gr. Accubond or 115 & 120 gr. Partitions are what I really like.

243: Don't have one but do have a 6mm Remington - 100 gr. Partitions is what I use but 95 gr. Partitions would work great also. The 90 gr. Accubond or the 90 gr. E-tip all from Nosler would be worth considering. My son took his first elk with the 6mm Remington and 90 gr. E-tip at 350 yards. He's also taken several antelope and deer with the same load. It's a great bullet.

Here's some bullet testing that I did in water jugs from 25 yards to 500 yards. Hope this helps.

These are all at 25 yards. If you want to see more I can post them.

I love expanded bullet pics! I've done some milk jug shooting with self defense type handgun ammo.
The input on everyone's favorite bullet is interesting. I've had excellent results on thin skinned game in several calibers with Nosler ballistic tips. If I was to pursue something tougher such as elk, I'd definitely test some of the premium bullets.

I had limited time to work up a load for the 25-06, and the ballistic tip was the third bullet I tried. I had some older 243 ballistic tips left from a previously owned rifle. The ballistic tips shot well in both rifles, but when they're used up I'll probably pursue something less expensive for general purpose use.

My criteria for thin skinned game is pretty simple.
Accuracy
Cost
Availability
Ive yet to have a bad experience with terminal ballistics on game when using common bullets from common calibers.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.