Success rate of rechambers?

DJ Fergus

What is the success rate when rechambering a barrel from the aspect of accuracy? Hypothetically speaking say: going from a 7mm rem mag to 28 nosler or even 300 win mag to 30 nosler etc. If you had a 1/2 moa shooter on the first chamber, is it likely to have a 1/2 moa shooter on the second chamber? I assume that keeping everything true while cutting the next chamber may be a bit more of a challenge than it was from having a new raw blank.

I think it depends upon the wear in the barrel. I've seen a lot more than throat erosion. IF throat erosion is not enough that it can be "cleaned out" with the new chamber reamer your chances of success are very good. It should be noted that any carbon in the barrel is very bad thing for the reamer. All carbon needs to be removed or damage to the reamer is very likely as carbon is extremely abrasive. I am not a huge fan of the Nosler cartridges even though I do own chambering reamers for them. For a repeater, more than a re-chamber would be required for reliable feed. In other words, "it ain't a drop-in".

Like shortgrass said, get the barrel as clean as possible. I would also have the muzzle end of the barrel addressed at the same time. Recurring a new crown would be a good idea. When rechambering, it's important to get the old chamber dialed in that way the new one will be cut right in line with it and clean it up.

I had this done on a 6.5x47 in 2018. It was rechambered to 6.5 Addiction. I had about 800 rounds through it as a 6.5x47, which is a little more than 1/3d of the barrel life I got out of the other 6.5x47 I was shooting at the sam time. I got 1000 rounds of 6.5 Addiction before the rate of velocity loss became unacceptable. That is about 2/3d of what I have been told to expect from a new barrel. The barrel shot better as an Addiction than it had as a 6.5x47.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.