Stock fix

ohiohunter

A while back I picked up a B&C durramax stock for a savage, well being the trusting person I am I did not go over it w/ a fine tooth comb and to my dismay the seller failed do disclose a major issue. The rear trigger guard screw had been stripped and he had tried to repair it w/ some sort of metal epoxy (devcon maybe). So fast forward to now I've been wanting to assemble this rifle but first I need to fix this joker's F up.

Basically I have a hole, everything has been dremeled out for an epoxy of some sort. What is suggested? I have devcon but I'm thinking that is too rigid and would chip or break as the screw is torqued. Are there any good plastic epoxy options? Something I could completely fill the void w/ and then drill a pilot hole for the screw?

For those unfamiliar w/ the savage rear screw its basically an allen head on a wood screw, almost a drywall screw.

Whats the suggestion? Or should I just take it on the chin and look for a new stock?

A while back I picked up a B&C durramax stock for a savage, well being the trusting person I am I did not go over it w/ a fine tooth comb and to my dismay the seller failed do disclose a major issue. The rear trigger guard screw had been stripped and he had tried to repair it w/ some sort of metal epoxy (devcon maybe). So fast forward to now I've been wanting to assemble this rifle but first I need to fix this joker's F up.

Basically I have a hole, everything has been dremeled out for an epoxy of some sort. What is suggested? I have devcon but I'm thinking that is too rigid and would chip or break as the screw is torqued. Are there any good plastic epoxy options? Something I could completely fill the void w/ and then drill a pilot hole for the screw?

For those unfamiliar w/ the savage rear screw its basically an allen head on a wood screw, almost a drywall screw.

Whats the suggestion? Or should I just take it on the chin and look for a new stock?

That screw doesn't require any torque. It's not an action screw. It's merely there to help secure the trigger guard. The devcon will work. Fill it with Devcon, drill a pilot hole, and run the screw in snug. JB Kwik Weld would be a good option if you don't want to wait for Devcon to set up.

That screw doesn't require any torque. It's not an action screw. It's merely there to help secure the trigger guard. The devcon will work. Fill it with Devcon, drill a pilot hole, and run the screw in snug. JB Kwik Weld would be a good option if you don't want to wait for Devcon to set up.

Do you think those epoxies are pliable enough regardless of torque? I'm just afraid they might be too brittle when I put the screw it basically crumbing or breaking my make shift fix.

I'd JB weld it. Should work just fine. I'd put a release agent on the screw and trigger guard. Put some JB in the hole and then put the screw and trigger guard in the stock. Let it set up overnight and then take the screw out in the morning. Everything should be just fine then.

Aaron

I did it with jb kwik stuff. I realized I could put a lot more than I originally thought into the rear of the action and not interfere with the trigger, this made me more confident in the fix. I blocked it off w/ putty and filled her up. Pilot hole and the screw took hold.

The epoxy has a plastic feel to it. So either its not completely cured or I mixed a little light on the hardener. Either when it turned out as hoped. Thanks guys for the encouragement.

Good deal ! It's important to get the right amount of hardened. And it takes time to fully cure. Anyway sounds like it will work.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.