Steve Shelp Question on 338 Yogi

ewallace

Steve
I am trimming 338 Yogi cases and was wondering what length you trim your cases to? I am going to the Ohio 1k shoot the 13 and am going to shoot the 300g bullets and was wondering how you sort bullets for a match?
Crow Mag

Crowmag,
My cases clean up evenly now at 2.695" for case OAL.

As for these 300gr bullets.... I sort by ogive length, I cut the bullet tips so that they don't have a jagged edge on them, and then check the weight to make sure I don't have any real off the wall bullets in there. Weight is the least important and ogive variation is the most important. Cutting the tips helps with unexplained flyers. Dave Tooley sells the tool to do this with.

If I remember correctly your rifle is in the 25-30# range correct? So that will put you in HG class. Don't know if you know it or not, but muzzle brakes aren't allowed in HG class. You'll either have to take it off to be legal, or they may allow you to shoot with it but on the upper end of the line with the understanding you can't win anything, but you can shoot and they will score your target and all to see how you and the rifle do. Just making sure your aware before driving that distance to be surprised. BTW: We're working on that rule that disallows muzzle brakes in HG class. I won't be able to attend the Ohio matches that weekend, but plan on making some of the others later on in the season. This is the very first match ever for this club, so there might be some small bumps in the road until they get things smoothed out, but they are good fellas. Give'um time and this should be a great club in the future.

Steve

Steve
My rifle is #30 and I have been shooting it with out the brake for the last couple of weeks. The rifle pushes quite a bet more with out the brake if I get into shooting in Ohio and shoot there a lot I will get another stock and get the rifle up to around 60 Lbs. How much dose your 338 Yogi kick is it just a light push and how far do you have to push it back after recoil?
Crow Mag

CrowMag,
Glad you are aware of the muzzle brake issue. My rifle weights 74# and it will slide back about 2 to 2.5" under free recoil (don't touch the rifle and just let it slide) with graphite on the rails. I would let my sons (6 and 8yrs) shoot this rifle without worry of them getting hurt. It's not sharp at all, jsut a big ol' push as you described. It's a ***** cat at that weight. Then when I put my 6.5x55AI barrel on this rifle it weighs somewhere in the mid to high 60# pound range and is a pop gun.
I've shot another 338 Lapua Improved (visibly I couldn't see any difference between it and the Yogi) at 45#?? approx w/o a brake and it was comfortable. But the front forearm did jump a lot, so I had hold onto the forearm while shooting it.
There's a guy at the NC club shooting a 17# LG in a full length 338/404 with 300gr bullets. He won his relay last weekend with it and did decent in the shoot-off. That's with a brake and it's not that bad from what I hear from others who have shot it.
So if you do get a different stock and get up to 60# you should be in good shape. Dave Tooley's HG weights right around 60# also with his 338/404 barrel and he throated his way out and was able to shoot the same 95gr R25 load with the 300gr bullet in that case and did really well with it out in Colorado in 2000. He finished in the top 10 overall for that match I beleive. So IMO 60# would be a good weight to be at.

Good luck at the match! I wish I was going to be there.

Steve

[ 04-01-2003: Message edited by: Steve Shelp ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.