Steiner 3-12x50mm for hunting

James Kiser

I have the opportunity to get a Steiner Military 3-12x50mm scope. I am going to mainly use this scope for hunting and i wanting to know if this is a smart move on my part. I have a nightforce 5.5-22x56mm on my rig right now and it goes dark way too early in the stand. the nighforce has a 30mm tube as most of yall know and the Steiner has a 34mm tube. I like the idea that i can adjust the brightness of the Steiner on the illumination while i cant on my nightforce that im aware of. On my nightforce ill lose the reticle when in low light situations. Do yall think i will have the same problem with the Steiner?

Should i just try to sell the Nightforce and buy a Kahles, Zeiss, or Swarovski scope?

Im wanting to see the longest as well as be able to pick up the reticle in low light situations. Now when i cut on the illumination in my Nightforce the red just floods the scope and i cant see the deer or my target.

What do yall suggest?
Thanks

I have the opportunity to get a Steiner Military 3-12x50mm scope. I am going to mainly use this scope for hunting and i wanting to know if this is a smart move on my part. I have a nightforce 5.5-22x56mm on my rig right now and it goes dark way too early in the stand. the nighforce has a 30mm tube as most of yall know and the Steiner has a 34mm tube. I like the idea that i can adjust the brightness of the Steiner on the illumination while i cant on my nightforce that im aware of. On my nightforce ill lose the reticle when in low light situations. Do yall think i will have the same problem with the Steiner?

Should i just try to sell the Nightforce and buy a Kahles, Zeiss, or Swarovski scope?

Im wanting to see the longest as well as be able to pick up the reticle in low light situations. Now when i cut on the illumination in my Nightforce the red just floods the scope and i cant see the deer or my target.

What do yall suggest?
Thanks

Take the cap off of the battery compartment. There is an adjustment screw under it. Just out of curiosity what reticle are you shooting? I have the MOAR in the same scope and I find that it pop's well against a dark backrground as it get's late.

Im using the MLR reticle.
I love the scope but when i had my Zeiss conquest i could see everything clearly and in more detail than the NF. Im just wanting someting different.

James,

As daylight fades you'll need to lower almost any high magnification scope down to allow more light to enter your pupil. This is especially true with very high magnification scopes like your NF when used at 22x during low light. Turn it down to 8-10x and I'll bet you'll see better through it?

A 34mm tube wont change much of anything at dusk/dawn if the scope is set above 12-16x or more. The larger tubes are designed for more elevation within the turret/reticle housing, so unless you increase the objective lens size above 56mm you're not going to see any better with the scope set at its highest setting unless kept below 12x.

But yes having a reticle with adjustable light intensities would also help out with your problem if it's so bright that it floods out your entire view. Try lowering the brightness and turning down the magnification and see if that helps you see better in low light conditions.

James,

As daylight fades you'll need to lower almost any high magnification scope down to allow more light to enter your pupil. This is especially true with very high magnification scopes like your NF when used at 22x during low light. Turn it down to 8-10x and I'll bet you'll see better through it?

A 34mm tube wont change much of anything at dusk/dawn if the scope is set above 12-16x or more. The larger tubes are designed for more elevation within the turret/reticle housing, so unless you increase the objective lens size above 56mm you're not going to see any better with the scope set at its highest setting unless kept below 12x.

But yes having a reticle with adjustable light intensities would also help out with your problem if it's so bright that it floods out your entire view. Try lowering the brightness and turning down the magnification and see if that helps you see better in low light conditions.

My scope was on 5.5 the lowest setting on my NF and i just couldnt make anything out with it, i could clearly see the deer with my eyes but not through the scope. Im wanting a more hunting oriented scope. My gunsmith said to try a Swarovski z6 saying that id have better luck with that. IDK what i should try lol

I have more then a few ultra high end scopes, Kahles 312K, Night Force 3-15x50, Leupold M4 3.5-10x40, Premier Heritage 3-15x50, Swarovski 1.5x6x42, S&B 4-16x50, and a Zeiss 5-15x42, can I say one is way better then the other at the last few minutes of light? Not really, it would be very hard to line them all up next to each other for a proper test.

Do you have any friends that have one you could test for yourself? They are all very good scopes, the only two I have that are illuminated are the PH, and NF though..... don't ever find myself ever needing illumination.

Last edited:
I have more then a few ultra high end scopes, Kahles 312K, Night Force 3-15x50, Leupold M4 3.5-10x40, Premier Heritage 3-15x50, Swarovski 1.5x6x42, S&B 4-16x50, and a Zeiss 5-15x42, can I say one is way better then the other at the last few minutes of light? Not really, it would be very hard to line them all up next to each other for a proper test.

Do you have any friends that have one you could test for yourself? They are all very good scopes, the only two I have that are illuminated are the PH, and NF though..... don't ever find myself ever needing illumination.

Yes i do, i have a few buddies that swear by the Kahles. Ive looked through them and they are very nice. Im either going to go with the swarovski z6 or a kahles

I'd go for the Kahles K312II with the tactical turrets if your pocket book can afford it, if not save up for it until you can? Very clear glass, lots of elevation, easy to get behind on target...... although is non-illuminated if that matters to you? Or you'll need to move up to the K624II model which will cost you even more $$$.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.