Steel Buster from Perth West Australia

Steel Buster

Hi guys / gals,

Brendan / Steel Buster here, just thought I would intro myself as a newbie, I'm the secretary and membership officer and range officer at our metallic silhouette rifle/ pistol club here in Perth western Australia , I only shoot out to 700m here and we do centrefire silly wets out to the 500m rams every 2 weeks.
I'm running a 7/08 Tikka for the long range stuff including 500m fly and a CZ / BRNO model 2 for my rimfire shooting it's had a bit of work done and is a 1/2 moa shooter, I also run a Ruger stainless steel mark 111 hunter target pistol, I have a halo site, red dot site and a 2 -7 variable pistol scope for it and I also play around with a Tanfoglio in 38 super that I cast and reload for.

I have been a regular hunter/ shooter for 30 years and hope to sneak my way into this site and get into some conversations and hopefully learn a bit and if I can give some info out as well.

CHEERS , Brendan / Steel Buster.

Last edited:
G'day SteelBuster,
I am in Qld. I am also Silhouette captain at my SSAA rifle range and I also use a Tikka 708 for c/f and a Brno model 2 for r/f.
I don't have pistols even though the range caters for it.

pistolas are a hoot especially when the formal stuff is finished and the fun begins, dueling tree , reactive targets, metal swingers , we are looking into getting a steel chalenge match going too.
I have only been at the club 3 years now but it's been fun and my son has been a member as long as that too, he came 2nd in the state titles last year in juniors and I came 4th in aa division and he won the junior and c division the year before that and I came 7th, I try my hardest as you are competing against yourself and every one else but I try and beat my best score every time I shoot.

My Bruno has had the first 3 inches of the barrel lopped off , then it's been put in a laminated boyds stock and bedded and the trigger goes off at 9 ounces so I shoot open class with it I have a Konus pro mil dot 6 to 24 X 50 scope on it and run it around 15X magnification.
The TIKKA is a synthetic Varmint stainless steel with the heavy barrel and is stock except for the trigger has been worked on and breaks cleanly at 2.2 lb's it wears a Bushnell elite 6500 4.5 to 30 X 50 mil dot.

I have thought of getting into pistols but I would have trouble making up the required attendances, and I'm a little dubious as to whether the government will let us keep them much longer.

My range is 150kms away from home and we only shoot silhouettes once a month, I have been going there on and off for 21yrs but have only held a position there for the last 3.
I too would love to have a steel challenge or a practical rifle comp, even if only for fun but the club is mostly made up of "old school" farmers, none of which would be interested in accommodating that. They are all a bit set in thier ways.

Its sounds as if you and your son are naturals with a rifle. I am yet to make it out of A grade.
My Brno is stock standard as purchased when I was 15. I am currently making my own stock for it. They original one is like holding on to a broom handle. It wears a 4-16 Weaver.
The tikka is a stainless varmint with a laminated stock and wears a 4.5-14 Zeiss. I shoot both on 14x.

It good to find people with such similar interests, good luck with your shooting.

you too buddy, maybe we can keep in touch with each other??

Our club wants to hold a postal shoot maybe you can send in some score sheets , "A" grade is "A" grade everywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.