Sonoita, Arizona (Chris)

I am new to reloading (picked a great time with all the AVAILABLE components out there!) and find it intoxicating. However, I do have a few questions, perhaps a bit simplistic, but I'd like to ask the "gurus."
1. I know the small "c" after a grain amount eg; 65.0c, means compressed. What DOES that mean to me as a reloader.
2. I have noticed in many load data charts that they jump from 165/155 etc. directly to 180g. Now, I have been loading 168g HPBT in my 300WSM. Since they do not have the grain listed (168g), is it permissible to use a lower or higher grain bullet data, or just extrapolate between the choices?
3. Sometimes, I'll have a certain powder, but it is used for the 180g bullet, while another powder is used for the 168g (powder I do not have). Again, is it ok to use these numbers even though they apply to a larger bullet?
4. Finally, I have been told "official" load data sheets are conservative.....no lawyer speak now....can one exceed the max number, carefully and in small amounts, while paying attention to pressure issues?

Thank you for your assistance:)

Welcome Chris, Sonoita is a great place and lots of wineries. Most of your questions can be answered with a quick search of this site. I am sure you will receive some knowledgable responses also. I have no experience with 300 WSM but welcome just the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.