Sold/expired

I'd like to have better clarity at 1000, using medium steel plates (I think they're 16"). I can tell I'm hitting but not clear. On the 1760 yard range, I want to be able to tell that im hitting the target and where on the target. I haven't shot there yet, so I don't know what size target are there.
It's easier and cheaper to buy a electronic hit indicator and put it on the plate, they only cost 100.00 or so and a light goes on. You can put them on and remove them in seconds. And your glass will be fine. At 1000-1700+ no matter what glass you have on any given day it can be blurry at that range due to mirage. They are self contained and the battery last a long time.
With that being said I love my KOWA Prominar scopes. They make a TSN 99mm Prominar now.

Last edited:
It's easier and cheaper to buy a electronic hit indicator and put it on the plate, they only cost 100.00 or so and a light goes on. You can put them on and remove them in seconds. And your glass will be fine. At 1000-1700+ no Mayer what glass you have on any given day it cal be bleary and that range due to mirage. They are self contained and the battery last a long time.
We use some of the target hit indicators, they are great for letting you know you made a hit somewhere on target (or even near misses). However, they don't tell you where you hit.

It's easier and cheaper to buy a electronic hit indicator and put it on the plate, they only cost 100.00 or so and a light goes on. You can put them on and remove them in seconds. And your glass will be fine. At 1000-1700+ no Mayer what glass you have on any given day it cal be bleary and that range due to mirage. They are self contained and the battery last a long time.
Good idea but the long range out to 1760 yards is public. On my two private ranges I can see the plates and paint them every time

It's easier and cheaper to buy a electronic hit indicator and put it on the plate, they only cost 100.00 or so and a light goes on. You can put them on and remove them in seconds. And your glass will be fine. At 1000-1700+ no matter what glass you have on any given day it can be blurry at that range due to mirage. They are self contained and the battery last a long time.
With that being said I love my KOWA Prominar scopes. They make a TSN 99mm Prominar now.
But what if you miss, where did you hit and what correction do you need to make so you can hit the next shot.

I'm so cheap at times I squeak! I have owned Swarovski, Vortex, bushnell, Tracts, Leuplod, The more you spend the better the optic, in that $1500 range you are going to get about them same quality no matter which one you choose. When you step up another $1000 you will start to really see the difference in glass. Add another $1000 to $2000 to that and you will be amazed! The big question is how deep are your pockets? I'm running the $1500 Tracts now and they work, but they are not in the same class as the Swarovski.
Spend once cry once, but not me I'll keep trying to find something in the Swarovski quality and a Vortex price.
Aw....the hunt often surpasses he kill....... :) :) :)

What spotting scope is useful at 1760 yards at a reasonable cost. I have two ranges 700 yards and 1000 that I've been using for a long time and I have an opportunity to shoot at a range that goes out to 1760 yards. I've been using an old ats 20-60x65 non-hd, but it ain't gonna cut in at the new place. I'd like to be prepared as much as possible.
Have you considered a Long Range camera system? For shooting steel, consider the camera at about $900 and spend more on the rifle scope. One can't hit what one can't see. The spotting scope doesn't help you hit. The rifle scope does. Camera system will confirm the hit. Camera permits capture of the shooting results which spotting scope cannot. One can see "beyond the mirage" with a camera easily at a mile plus. Just use a downward angled AR500 plate to protect the camera, deflecting errant rounds downward into a bullet trap in front of the camera, transmitter well off to the side with transmitter cable in a trench.

Last edited:
Have you considered a Long Range camera system? For shooting steel, consider the camera at about $900 and spend more on the rifle scope. One can't hit what one can't see. The spotting scope doesn't help you hit. The rifle scope does. Camera system will confirm the hit. Camera permits capture of the shooting results which spotting scope cannot. One can see "beyond the mirage" with a camera easily at a mile plus. Just use a downward angled AR500 plate to protect the camera, defecting errant rounds downward into a bullet trap in front of the camera, transmitter well off to the side with transmitter cable in a trench.
I'm using atcr 5-25x56. Like I said previously, ithe 1760 range a public and they don't let you go down range.

as said above $$$$ talks and BS walks- one gets what one spends and yes there are big differences in the glass . Have scopes for short rang / chucking and have LRS and spent $ 3.5 plus thousands for a good glass. Get a better rifle scope !!!!!

Unless you want to spend $8k there isn't a better scope than the NF atcr 5-25x56. Due to recoil (shooting 6.5prc, 300wm), scope has zero assist in determining hit on targets.

I've heard of people who use a camera with a big zoom, Something like a Nikon P1000, I thought it sounded interesting. That way you wouldn't have to go to the target, and you'd be able to record and re watch if you didn't catch it. I don't know squat about cameras so you'd have to do some research for sure

Unless you want to spend $8k there isn't a better scope than the NF atcr 5-25x56. Due to recoil (shooting 6.5prc, 300wm), scope has zero assist in determining hit on targets.
Reagrding....."Unless you want to spend $8k there isn't a better scope than the NF atcr 5-25x56." USSOCOM selected the NF 7-35x56 version (Army chose the Leupold 5HD 7-35x56) for Precision Sniper Rifle Barrett MRAD. Agree the NF, either 5-25 or 7-35, is a great scope. Have several, never any issues, disappointments.....money well spent. Beyond that you are on your own. Pop corn popped, salted, buttered. LazyBoy reclined. Cold one popped. Let the flaming entertainment commence. :) :) :)

However, regarding....."....... scope has zero assist in determining hit on targets." Au contraire. The efficiacy of using rifle scope on spotting impacts is a function of distance, time of flight, projectile performance (in-flight and terminal), recoil, scope performance, and shooter skill. At 100 yds, yeah, it's near impossible to spot own impacts with centerfire calibers. However, further out where LR/ELR become the game, one can run the bolt and reacquire target to spot own impacts. US military is going to this technique for two-man shooter/shooter teams versus the traditional shooter/spotter paring. The Barrett M107/82 semi-auto will be phased out in favor of the Barrett MRAD MK22 bolt-action in 308Win/300NM/338NM. This shooter-shooter pairing will put more rounds on target in shorter time by running the bolt/recovering from recoil-muzzle blast/reacquiring target-vapor trail to spot own impacts, make correction, and send follow-up rounds. Alternatively, second shooter can spot first shooter's vapor trail/impact, make corrections and send follow-up round using second shooter rifle scope versus a stand alone spotting scope. The bolt action is less malfunction prone, doesn't throw big brass into the air every time......shooter can control whether to eject or "slip" spent brass out of action. Empty, sans optics and ammo, MRAD (~13.9-15.3lbs) is less than half the weight of the M107/82 (@32lbs.; M107A1 @ 28lbs), plus about 2.5x more rounds can be carried for the same ammo weight. With new 338NM rounds being developed, the terminal ballistics will closely approach that of the .50BMG, with significantly improved flight ballistics, probability of first round impact.

Last edited:
Reagrding....."Unless you want to spend $8k there isn't a better scope than the NF atcr 5-25x56." USSOCOM selected the NF 7-35x56 version (Army chose the Leupold 5HD 7-35x56) for Precision Sniper Rifle Barrett MRAD. Agree the NF, either 5-25 or 7-35, is a great scope. Have several, never any issues, disappointments.....money well spent. Beyond that you are on your own. Pop corn popped, salted, buttered. LazyBoy reclined. Cold one popped. Let the flaming entertainment commence. :) :) :)

However, regarding....."....... scope has zero assist in determining hit on targets." Au contraire. The efficiacy of using rifle scope on spotting impacts is a function of distance, time of flight, projectile performance (in-flight and terminal), recoil, scope performance, and shooter skill. At 100 yds, yeah, it's near impossible to spot own impacts with centerfire calibers. However, further out where LR/ELR become the game, one can run the bolt and reacquire target to spot own impacts. US military is going to this technique for two-man shooter/shooter teams versus the traditional shooter/spotter paring. The Barrett M107/82 semi-auto will be phased out in favor of the Barrett MRAD MK22 bolt-action in 308Win/300NM/338NM. This shooter-shooter pairing will put more rounds on target in shorter time by running the bolt/recovering from recoil-muzzle blast/reacquiring target-vapor trail to spot own impacts, make correction, and send follow-up rounds. Alternatively, second shooter can spot first shooter's vapor trail/impact, make corrections and send follow-up round using second shooter rifle scope versus a stand alone spotting scope. The bolt action is less malfunction prone, doesn't throw big brass into the air every time......shooter can control whether to eject or "slip" spent brass out of action. Empty, sans optics and ammo, MRAD (~13.9-15.3lbs) is less than half the weight of the M107/82 (@32lbs.; M107A1 @ 28lbs), plus about 2.5x more rounds can be carried for the same ammo weight. With new 338NM rounds being developed, the terminal ballistics will closely approach that of the .50BMG, with significantly improved flight ballistics, probability of first round

The reason I closed this thread is because most of the replies were off track and certainly not from "experts at elr" which this section was supposed to be created. I agree that the nf 7-35 is better than the 5-25.đź‘Ť

I am a solo shooter, thus the second half of your post is largely irrelevant. Have a nice night.