Skunk

IamJustlucky

After midnight and I just shot a skunk at the bottom of the front yard. Holding a bright light and a bull barrel lr22 recently purchased. One shot and it didn't spray. Perfect!

IamJustlucky, you really are lucky! I heard of some farmers taking a 410 shotgun to the hen house to whack skunks. DTR. But I vividly remember in a Spring of the year finding a skunk walking in a field.My friend said shoot him! I had a .243 and I think big 100s in it. Hit was good, but he started making big circles! I hit him again and he changed his mind and started walking away. Next field we spotted yet another! This time I said you shoot him and I'll watch! At about 75 or so yards, he hit him between the shoulders, right behind the head. I saw the red circle ! This one ran at us ! He waited til it was broadside and whacked him hard enough to roll him over. It got up and again, walked away. We looked at each other in utter disbelief! Never before nor since have I heard of anything like it. But I swear it is the truth.

My rule is to keep shooting.
i finished mowing today and went inside to shower. Got a call from my nephew and as I happened to look outside, a snake was moving along the yard. He was easy to see with the grass freshly mowed. I went out and shot it with a 12ga (5shot) once. Shot was a little high being so close but it had a pellet went thru his head and it stopped moving. Went back in to get phone for a photo. It started slowly moving. It continued during the next 20 minutes. It did not leave, just kept changing positions. I finally took a 22lr rifle and shot it at least 4/5 times. Finally it rolled onto its back stretched out. It was 4-5 feet. Bad *** snake.

We kill skunks regularly this time of year having chickens. I've only had 1 spray when shot (.22lr). I keep a have a heart set up and will shoot them in the head with a .410 to dispatch. If time allows, I just leave them in the trap to expire.

Wife unloaded a 10/22 on one that was in the chicken tractor last year that didn't spray. It was still alive when she went to go reload.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.