Sightron S-TAC vs SWFA SS

270DT

Anyone ever compare these scopes side by side? I have a SWFA SS 3-15.

The S-TAC I believe is 3-16, they come in around the same price range with the Sightron maybe a little less dollars.

Last edited:
Anyone ever compare these scopes side by side? I have a SWFA SS 3-15 and the S-TAC I believe is 3-16, they come in around the same price range with the Sightron maybe a little less dollars.

If you have them both compare them???

Sorry, I only have hands on experience on 5-20x50 SS FFP HD but I know that are very happy with their 3-15x42s.

This is one of the best video review I have seen on this scope ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/9fe4l_CAthI?t=7[/ame]

Cheers!

Ed

The new S-TAC(3-16x & 4-20x) don't have the good glass that the S3 has, only the older 2.5-17x does and you will see it in the price. I think the 2.5-17x is about $300 more than the other two. The S-TAC internals are good but the edge goes to the SS if you're comparing to the 3-16x and 4-20x. The 2.5-17x is a great scope with phenomenal light gathering but it's a little heavy.

I have the S-Tac 2.5-17.5 and a FFP SS 3-15. The S-Tac I have has great glass, tracks well and is very solid (not as good of resolution as the SIII). The S-Tac has a HUGE bell on it and I wouldn't put it on a hunting rifle or a pack rifle. I have the S-Tac on a POF .308 and it works very well for that. The SS 3-15 I have on a Savage Bear Hunter in .300wsm; it is my hunting pack rifle. The SS is very good, tracks very well and is very durable. It is perfect for a hunting rifle. I am not disappointed in either scope and if I had a new scope to buy I'm not sure which one I'd pick. From what I hear the new S-Tac scopes (different power than what I have) don't have as good of glass. That being entered into the equation, I'd go for the SS.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.