Sierra hpbt's?????

diderr

Do the Sierra match bullets expand in flesh? I know they have the air cavity like the Barnes' do. I've killed a deer with one, but never found the bullet.
Thanks,

What are you going to shoot and what caliber and bullet weight?

The ones I have used on game, deer, .284 168 MK and the .308 168 MK both expanded. Both shots were through the lungs. My opinion is that they work fine for most game. I prefer to shoot bullets in 150 plus weight. I do not know that I would like using these bullets in lighter weights.

Berger says their bullets in VLD will work on game, but I have not tried them yet.

I have used the match king in my 7mmRM and my 338Edge. With the 338 I wouldn't hesitate shooting anything from coyotes to moose at short to very-very long distances. I shot a large buck at medium/semi-long range and it freaking hammered him!!!! Never seen that much damage on a deer. It made a complete pass through(both shoulders) and made a hole big enough to stick a fist in. The 168gr 7mm hit a small doe at about 30 feet head on in the brisket. Knocked her for a loop, flipped her on her back. Then she got up and started to run straight away from me! I shot her up the butt(to put her down and not let her run off and suffer) and knocked her down again. She tried to get up and a third shot finished her. At that range there was very little penetration due to the violent impact velocity, the first shot never reached her vitals and she probably would have died a horrible death. I'm sure if it were at extended ranges and the deer was broadside there wouldn't have been any problem so take it for what it's worth.

ps-this has been talked over several times, use the search function and you will get plenty of reading on the subject.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts