Shooting App

Clubhunter

Got a question that might sound stupid but I am having trouble getting my arms around it. I live at 200' elevation. My rifle is sighted in at 200 yards. I want to hunt at a range of 8000' to 10000' elevation. Is there a ballistics program that compensates for that? In the "Shooting App" I use, when I change elevations from say 100 to 1000, my zero stays the same at 200. This actually would not be correct in real life would it unless I resighted the rifle in at 1000' elevation. Is there an app where you site in your rifle at a certain altitude and then gives you the ballistics for new altitude? Hope I didn't confuse you.
I also know that it is best to resite in when you get to the area your going to hunt but what if your going to hunt different elevations.

Which app are you using, do you mean "Shooter"?

I use Shooter, and when you set up your particular bullet/ammo, there are entry fields for the exact conditions in which you sighted in your rifle. So you can in fact sight in your rifle at a lower elevation, and then hunt at a high elevation and the app will calculate your shooting solution with no problem. There really is no advantage sighting in at the elevation you are going to hunt from if you have your app set up correctly.

Also, it is more accurate to input the exact absolute pressure measured right where you are shooting from rather than just elevation which just estimates pressure.

Which app are you using, do you mean "Shooter"?

I use Shooter, and when you set up your particular bullet/ammo, there are entry fields for the exact conditions in which you sighted in your rifle. So you can in fact sight in your rifle at a lower elevation, and then hunt at a high elevation and the app will calculate your shooting solution with no problem. There really is no advantage sighting in at the elevation you are going to hunt from if you have your app set up correctly.

Also, it is more accurate to input the exact absolute pressure measured right where you are shooting from rather than just elevation which just estimates pressure.

It is the Shooter app. Now I understand the entry for the particular bullet is set and the shooter screen is Wher the variables change. Earlier, not sure what I was doing but the zero stayed the same regardless of elevation. Now after going into the bullet and editing and saving it does change the zero from the original when the altitude changes.

I plan on getting a Kestrel soon to be able to enter the absolute pressure.
Thanks

I use the Applied Ballistics app. Because of my military service, I am able to use the tactical version. The app is very easy to use and it also asks my sight in conditions including temperature, humidity, pressure, etc. and it also asks for the current shooting conditions. My 100yd zero for my .308 hasn't changed much when I move up in elevation. MAYBE 1/4MOA at the most.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.