Sellers remorse??

I have sold a number that I regret. First year model 71 Winchester in mint shape, an 1886 with original sights including tang sight in 40-82, a No.1 in 7RM, a couple of contenders, 1892's, 1894's and I had remorse for everyone. Yet I made the mistake more then once 😞. Money was never the reason, maybe more of the thrill of selling and buying. I'm currently trying(although not too hard) to sell a rifle that is a lot like the ones you mention. Not used anymore and not sentimental at all. I have two daughters who are still young. I believe my wife and I are raising them right and will always back the 2nd Amendment but I am not just splitting my collection up between them for passing on. I created a trust for my all of my guns and it is written in there that the daughter who shows interest, knowledge, and desire to use and appreciate them, will get all. If both do, then they will be divided. Not real cut and dry but I have a friend that can help with values if the time comes. What I don't want is for the firearms to be sold off in the future after inherited. So, to answer your question, hang on to them if possible. I'm currently struggling with the same on a rifle. I do buy and sell which is why a got my FFL. It's tough though sometimes to decide which is one to keep and which to sell.

I buy and sell a lot and I always get sellers remorse, but for me it fades pretty soon if I made the right decision. There are firearms I miss but none I would go back and do over. I don't keep stuff I don't love or has some serious meaning behind it. Too many bucket list items for "meh" stuff I don't shoot.

of those I would probably send down the road the 300wsm, 270wsm and one of the 2506,3006,308 pack that you like the least from the uncle. I would for sure keep at least one of those though, depending on your personal relationship to that person. For example my uncle trades constantly, so if I traded one or two that he gave me for something awesome he would be excited I think.

I've had the same debate many times and have sold some. Here is my criteria (not necessarily in order of priority):

1. Is it sentimental? Obviously keep, no justification needed.
2. Do I have a use for it? I really like to match the gun (and cartridge) to the game, so does the rifle configuration and cartridge fit a specific species/hunt I do or want to do?
3. Does it overlap something else I own, and how much?
4. How well does it shoot? Group size, felt recoil, stock fit/design, etc.
5. How hard is it to acquire again? Is it a fairly unique configuration or is it easy to buy it back in a few years if I want.
6. If I've maxed out the budget for firearms that I'm comfortable with for my family, would I enjoy something else more if I sold/traded it? The hard part is this may change over time.

Sounds like your hesitation gives you part of your answer, but I've sold a few guns I was hesitant to sell at the time and don't regret it now. As long as you don't go against #1 and #5, then the others are easier to remedy if you have remorse.

Let us know what you decide! I wrestle with this issue as well so I'm always keen to learn from others.

I've had the same debate many times and have sold some. Here is my criteria (not necessarily in order of priority):

2. Do I have a use for it? I really like to match the gun (and cartridge) to the game, so does the rifle configuration and cartridge fit a specific species/hunt I do or want to do?
5. How hard is it to acquire again? Is it a fairly unique configuration or is it easy to buy it back in a few years if I want.
6. If I've maxed out the budget for firearms that I'm comfortable with for my family, would I enjoy something else more if I sold/traded it? The hard part is this may change over time.

Sounds like your hesitation gives you part of your answer, but I've sold a few guns I was hesitant to sell at the time and don't regret it now. As long as you don't go against #1 and #5, then the others are easier to remedy if you have remorse.

Let us know what you decide! I wrestle with this issue as well so I'm always keen to learn from others.
Well you make great points. The issue is the wife didn't even know the uncle had guns. They weren't close but she decide to turn the 06 in to a 280 Ai so that's a win there it has a purpose she will shoot. We like to shoot a lot so barrels get expensive but I do it because I have a love for hunting and shooting. The 270 wsm and 300 wsm would be easy to get back in different rifles or my new found hobbies building them. The 270 wsm I'd build with a carbon barrel and an 8 twist 300 short don't know I'd build another but it shoots good and has been a loaner gun because any one can shoot it if they can pack it. The 25-06 was traded for so it's eh what ever other than it fits and is easy to shoot. I'm out west so game ranges from 50 yards to as far asmy abilities. The 308 does nothing it sits. But that was her uncles gun and she is eh on it. Maybe I post them for sale and be done with it. Upgrading scopes and finishing builds and starting new ones all sound great. This would be a non issue if I made more money lol as with all of us.

Every gun I have ever traded or sold, I eventually have regretted. The guns I have given to my family members, not one bit.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^
I broke rule #1 once several years ago and it quite literally has haunted me ever since.....especially since I still have some of the factory ammo for it that's no longer produced.

Do I wish I might have kept one I sold? Perhaps but, I was taught long ago by a wise old man and mentor (my grandfather) that if I sold something for the price I was asking to never look back, for I should feel lucky that I got my price. There was one time I sold some of my guns to feed my family, I sometimes think about.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.