seating depth by oal guage or chamber method?

<font color="red">Quote nosolic: "I understand that the bolt will force the cartridge down and to the right and maybe give a "false reading"? Please give me some insight on the "correct" way of determining the best way to go." </font>

As far as false reading I certainly won't worry about it. I have been doing the same method that you are doing for over 20 yrs, except that I just use a casing/bullet and I am done in about 1 minute getting measurements.

<font color="red">Unless you are shooting precision bench matches, then your method will work just fine.</font>

GSSP,
I have the same rifle as yours, but it doesn't matter what rifle you have (unless it's auto or pump) it's lots faster to check you seating depth by using a casing/bullet and a comparator. No need to go down the barrel with a rod.
Like I said in the above post, I can have the mesurement done in less than a minute, double check, and it will be accurate!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.