Hornady OAL guage help

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
I finally decided to use both the Hornady and Sinclair comparators. I also "learned" tha t I need to use a fairly firm pressure to ensure I am on the lands. And at this point I have consistent readings to within .0005" measurements. I have done it for all different bullets I use. That is tedious as well, since I take 10 measurements with each (20 total), and then go with the average. Seating I am trying are .015 to .020.
I have both comparators also and find the hornady a little easier to use but the sinclair would be more precise !

I use the method in the video when I can and use the Hornady tool or the marked rod method when I can't. The video method also shows up in a video by Wheeler accuracy and has proven to be the most repeatable for me. Once I find the just touching seating length, I put that dummy round aside for future reference. I have found that generally if I compared the wheeler method to the other two methods, the other methods tended to give me longer results. (i.e., I was probably a few thousands into the lands using the other methods)

The OP indicated this exercise was to set up to load 300 WM with 215 Bergers. I have two GAP 300WMs both chambered with the same reamer. Neither one of them shoots best with the 215 Bergers 0.020" or closer to the lands. For me, it was trial and error in load development with seating depth to find what worked best for each rifle. As long as I was working off a constant reference it wouldn't really matter that much if my original determination of distance to the lands was off a few thousands.

Hi. It seems a bit tedious but looks like a sound method to me. I wonder if that was a 6 Dasher or 6 BR maybe?

His point is well taken on the Hornady OAL gage probably giving you a measurement "jammed" into the lands .005". I back off .020" from that so I may actually be seating a bit longer than I thought!

I went on youtube on how to use this OAL gauge device and encountered an individual who goes by the handle "Hornady Loader" on Youtube. He gives some pretty excellent advice and tips on how to maximize the benefits of this system.

Last edited:
I'll give both methods another go again and post my results...thanks fellas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Final verdict. I agree with whomever was saying to get a solid measurement with OAL gauge, it may be pushing bullet into the lands slightly.

Spend 4 hours tonight (entirely too long).

5 x measurements with the OAL (2.796 CBTO)

Bolt lift method took me forever (2.801 CBTO)

Final verdict. I agree with whomever was saying to get a solid measurement with OAL gauge, it may be pushing bullet into the lands slightly.

Spend 4 hours tonight (entirely too long).

5 x measurements with the OAL (2.796 CBTO)

Bolt lift method took me forever (2.801 CBTO)
Well Vandy, I'd have done the same thing. Now you know. Maybe next time with a different rifle/bullet combination, you might not see near the variance as you did this time. Let us know how it shoots.

Just to throw you another curve, when you get your length with the Wheeler method, mark your bullet with a Sharpie and try it. When you get marks in the ink but not down to the bullet you are there. The length to the lands is just for reference of where not to be. I always start at .020 off the lands and go further.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.