Scope rings for CZ 550

Old teacher

Anyone out there have a CZ 550 in .338 Lapua. The specific caliber is not important; anything that heavy or heavier would probably present the same problem, which is, I cannot find anything but single screw (per side)Leupold rings that fit the odd size built in mounting feature of this rifle. It is basically the same as a narrow Pickatinny rail,, but too narrow to take rings designed for the rail. I have e-mailed multiple ring makers and get the same answer. I have the same problem on my Sako chambered for the Lazzeroni Warbird. I put six screw Blackhawks on my .338 RUM, and they work great as they did on my Mark V 30-378. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Do you have room for 4 rings? If you can't get good rings maybe doubling up is the next best option.

Warne makes 4-screw rings for the CZ550. The rear ring has a "recoil lug" that locks the scope into position and prevents forward or backward movement under recoil. They come in standard "permanent attach" and quick-release versions. I bought mine at SWFA.com.

Another option is to have a smith drill & tap your action for a picatinny rail. Murphy Precision makes picatinny rails to fit the CZ550, but the action still has to be drilled & tapped.

Thanks for the info, guys. I stumbled onto the Warne rings right after I posted the message. I also went directly to CZ, and they also make two screw rings for their own rifles. (Like I shouldn't have thought of that before. Maybe I should take the "teacher" off my handle, and just leave the "Old") I think two would do it. They didn't have a price or order details on the site, so I have an e-mail in to them with a few questions, but between CZ and Warne, I will get what I want., or at least, need. The Sako 995 is another issue. I bought it online from a guy who goes by the handle of Kiowa Driver. He advertised the rifle as new, having fired only 10 shots, and had a story of why he was selling it. It was supposed to come with a box and a half of Lazzeroni ammo, plus a half box of brass (the ten he fired), and a set of Talley rings. Fortunately, the rifle was everything he said it was, but the ammo, brass, and rings never arrived, even after multiple communications which went unanswered. If anyone is considering doing business with this guy, I would advise a second thought. Anyway, the Sako also has an odd sized built-in mounting system. I considered the drill and tap for a standard rail, but the design of the Sako receiver simply does not have enough steel topside to allow that, so I will have to find rings for it. I have not checked Warne for those, so I will, and I will also go to Sako directly and see if they make rings for their rifles like CZ does. Problems, problems, problems.

The CZ rings are somewhat functional but fugly.

Warne is the only ring I ever used on a CZ.
375 Wby, 416 Rigby, and 470Mbogo

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts