Scope mount question

Hey Sika

Firstly IMO it looks a whole lot better than a scope with ample space between the reciever and the scope and secondly (and more towards the point) it ensures a better cheek weld on the stock of your rifle. It makes it that much easier to rule out any accidental parallax errors and ensures consistency which ultimately increases your accuracy.

Basically it enables you to shoot comfortably and consistently!

Hope that helps.

Hey Sika

Firstly IMO it looks a whole lot better than a scope with ample space between the reciever and the scope and secondly (and more towards the point) it ensures a better cheek weld on the stock of your rifle. It makes it that much easier to rule out any accidental parallax errors and ensures consistency which ultimately increases your accuracy.

Basically it enables you to shoot comfortably and consistently!

Hope that helps.

+1! Most of my rifle has ~1/4" clearance as noted above when both the rifle and scope flexes during recoil. The video below is on a 50 BMG but one of the best video around to get the point across in scope and barrel flexing ...

Last edited by a moderator:
One advantage, as it pertains to the hunting scene, might be a reduced likelihood that the scope will hang up on brush or other obstructions if it's closer to the barrel and it also makes it easier to fit it into a rifle case without special design considerations. I mount mine as low as possible, keeping in mind my ability to get behind the scope for proper sight alignment when on target, bue always with at least 1/8 inch clearance between the bell and the barrel.
But scope height also determines where your cheek weld is on the comb of the stock and how much strain you experience in the shoulder/neck when sighting. We're all different and my scope height will probably be different than yours for optimum sighting comfort.
The rumor that the scope closest to the center of the bore is the more accurate sighting device has no merit and other old wive's tales of similar origin are equally bogus.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.