Scope level for hunting

clem81

Ok who uses a scope level on ur long range hunting rig. I would think so right, it is so necessary for more than 300 yards shots

I use the scope bubble all the time at any distance. Next time you are shooting at 100 yards get everything steady and solid at 100 with bubble centered then cant rifle to either side and then look at your target and see where you are aiming you will be surprised how much difference a little off center makes.

I have been completely satisfied with the Vortex bubble. I have found that using a bubble at long distance has helped me shrink groups. And I am not only referring to avoiding canting but rather lining up the bubble helps me to further relax when the cross hair is on target. May sound strange but works for me.

I agree... they do even make a difference at 100 yards. It's amazing how the roll of a hill or other things in the background will make you believe you are level, when you are not at all.

I even noticed the first couple times I shot with a bubble level that I unconsciously kept trying to level my reticle to the target I haphazardly stapled up down range. And obviously that target was not even close to level.

Just keep in mind that even in higher end scopes, it's quite common for the reticle to not be 100% with the turrets. So if you dial for elevation, you'll want your bubble level matched mostly with your turrets. If you hold off for elevation, you'll want your bubble level matched mostly with your reticle.

I stay away from the bubble levels that mount to the picatinny rail or other places on the rifle. Get the kind that mount to the scope tube. WAY easier. If it's on the scope tube, then you don't need to be concerned with if the scope is also level with the rifle. Also if you have to move your scope around, then you just leave the bubble level set exactly how it is no matter what rifle you put it on. Hope that makes sense.

I agree... they do even make a difference at 100 yards. It's amazing how the roll of a hill or other things in the background will make you believe you are level, when you are not at all.

I even noticed the first couple times I shot with a bubble level that I unconsciously kept trying to level my reticle to the target I haphazardly stapled up down range. And obviously that target was not even close to level.

Just keep in mind that even in higher end scopes, it's quite common for the reticle to not be 100% with the turrets. So if you dial for elevation, you'll want your bubble level matched mostly with your turrets. If you hold off for elevation, you'll want your bubble level matched mostly with your reticle.

I stay away from the bubble levels that mount to the picatinny rail or other places on the rifle. Get the kind that mount to the scope tube. WAY easier. If it's on the scope tube, then you don't need to be concerned with if the scope is also level with the rifle. Also if you have to move your scope around, then you just leave the bubble level set exactly how it is no matter what rifle you put it on. Hope that makes sense.

100% agree.

I have anti-cant bubbles on every scope I own.
My favorite is Holland Signiture anti cant, but I also own a couple of Wheeler, Vortex and a very cheap light weight one $10 on amazon.
I tried the Vortex Lo Pro ( the thin one) the very thin band broke immediately just trying to mount it, stay away from that one. The Holland level is very clear, sturdy, and dependable. Ive compared clarity in low light on all kinds and it wins every time.

+1 on the Holland. More money than the Vortex, but not as bulky. I have a Vortex on 1 rifle which performs as well as the Holland. What I don't like is the direction of the screws, tightening and keeping them aligned with level isn't very easy on either make.

Been thinking about it B/C I have the larger Vortex level on my Ruger Precision Rifle that I use in competition.

I think for hunting I'd want a folding or sliding bubble level to protect it when not in use.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.