Scope choices

TC338

Which scope would you guys choose for a 0-500 deer rifle. Going on a new 257 Weatherby apex.
IMG_9512.png
IMG_9511.png
IMG_9510.png

I think I am going this route. I purchased the scope just need to decide which caliber. Not a big fan of SFP but the reticle just looks like a winner on a fast caliber. I woulds also look at Trijicon, I also bought a Trac Toric it also has nice glass & reticle for hunting.

500 yard max no way I'm going with that much power. Tops of about 18 and that's way overkill for that range even. On the range I would have it maxed but for spotting shots on game at 500 probably run it around 12x ish depending on conditions, shooting position etc.

IMO (no one get their feelings hurt) I wouldn't consider any of those scopes reliable especially the Z5.

500 yard max no way I'm going with that much power. Tops of about 18 and that's way overkill for that range even. On the range I would have it maxed but for spotting shots on game at 500 probably run it around 12x ish depending on conditions, shooting position etc.

IMO (no one get their feelings hurt) I wouldn't consider any of those scopes reliable especially the Z5.
Appreciate the input. What scope(s) would you recommend for this application.

Lower magnification scopes will give you better low light performance. If this gun will be used primarily for hunting inside 500 I would stick with about a 3-15. Also, if you get a ffp scope the reticle is often unusable in a hunting scenario at low power if the scope goes all the way to 25x on the top end. Lower mag means more bang for the buck. If it's a sfp scope and you plan on dialing for elevation then the higher mag might not matter as much as long as you can still back it out enough to get a good sight picture within 100.

I agree the Steiner is more scope for the application at hand. But I got a good deal on it. And will find a use for it in another scenario. Such as target shooting or varmint hunting. If it turns out I don't like it for deer. I do wish it would have been in the 3 or 4 power. But then it's not like I can't buy one in the future. If I do like it. This will be my first Steiner. So I bought it out of curiosity. To compare to other scopes & see if the hype is there.

I usually would as well. But the areas we intend to use this rifle will rarely of ever have a shot under 150 yards. We are hunting a large river bottom.
I will aggravate a lot of people, but you mentioned 150yds, you do not need the high dollar optics, save majority of your money and look at an Arken 6-24 SHG2J. You will get Japanese glass and save a ton of money for other items.

Recent Posts