Savage vs Remington longest allowed COAL for mag.

TDog78

Don't know why I cannot find this however I have been searching for a few hours. I was going to have a remington action I have on hand tuned at long rifles inc and the wife has decided she wants the old 30-06 stock and will take it over. I want to build up a 300 win mag and obviously use some of the heavier higher bc offerings and am curious if the magazine length on the savage actions with detachable or hinged floor plate allow the bullet to be seated out as far as the remington actions especially as I experience throat erosion and want to take it out further. I was completely convinced on going the remington route but after reading so much about the savage I will consider them.....the two most accurate guns I own currently are both savage in .204 and .243. The .204 is 1/4 moa and the most accurate weapon I have ever personally been around. It always make people smile and I love to take a challenge here and there...it has yet to lose! The .243 is an axis and outshoots all of my higher dollar guns around 1/2 moa pretty consistently and I won the darn thing and a DU raffle. Everything is out the window though if savage will have issue feeding the high bc boolits. Thanks all.

If its any consolation... My staggered feed Stevens 200 (Savage) in 300 Win Mag maxes out about 3.450" coal where my 700 in 7mm Rem is over 3.65"

The Savage, both stagger and center feed, will be too short to get the optimum seating depth out a 300 WM with a 215 Berger. The Remington factory box will be just long enough. Go with the Remington.

Remington gives you more COAL room and if you're having a gunsmith do it, go this route.

If DIY, go with Savage. Best COAL I can get with my Savage LA in .300 WM is 3.53", but they shoot as heck as you already know. Sometimes it is not all about the longest COAL; I try to find the best compromise of COAL and CBTO for any of my rifles. For instance, my .300 WSM's (also a Savage) 215 Berger load is .080" off the lands (started with .010"), mag can accommodate 3.003" COAL but ended up with 2.968" COAL (2.197" CBTO).

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.