Savage model 99a 375 inherited

no sadly it's still chambered in 375. Is there any cases that can be formed for this. I read about nicking out 30-30 shells and light loads but sounds kind of sketch
Yes you can use 30 30 to reload or shoot 38 55 Win. I have came across 375 Win reloads and NIB ammo when at flea markets & gun stores. Just keep your eyes open. I have not shot 38 55 or reloaded 3030 but there is plenty of info on the web. Finding brass & bullets is the hardest part. I also suggest getting a cast for bullet making if you find one.

Hello everyone my grandfather recently passed amd I was willed this gun. What should I do? The ammo is pretty rare amd the brass are as well. Should I trade,sell, or just store the gun. I have not gone to pick it up
I woukd be interested in buying the Savage from you, if you woukd consider selling it. I woukd also consider either trading you something that works better for you, or even assembling something semi-custom in a caliber that you like.

Yes you can use 30 30 to reload or shoot 38 55 Win. I have came across 375 Win reloads and NIB ammo when at flea markets & gun stores. Just keep your eyes open. I have not shot 38 55 or reloaded 3030 but there is plenty of info on the web. Finding brass & bullets is the hardest part. I also suggest getting a cast for bullet making if you find one.
This is what I would do. It would be like shooting 38 specials out of a 357 Magnum.

The 99 is fine with 38-55 Winchester level loads and would be fine for many parts of LA for deer. . You could even reload with spitzer hollow point bullets to make the bullet selection easier. The Sierra 200 grain pro hunter bullet would work for you. The 38-55 would be a simple reload. As for learning to reload, if I can do it, anyone can.

As for keeping something of your Grandfather's, I would be desperate before I sold it if it was something that he loved to use.

And 99s are classy guns. Life is too Short to hunt with ugly guns.

First it's a family heirloom and your grandpa felt strongly to will it you. You will regret selling it as some point. I guarantee it.

The 99 is an absolute classic and in 375Win even more so. Don't underestimate this cartridge, it's a close quarter thumper like the 45/70.

I would post up here on classifieds that you "want to buy" ammo or brass. I would also post up on northern states like NY, VT, NH, MA and ME where this cartridge has deep roots.

I would contact Winchester for help to locate ammo. I have done similar and they have been helpful.

I wouldn't mind if the rounds were afford able or easy to come by

Blue Collar Reloading has Starline brass right now. Not cheap……but, brass is not cheap anywhere! memtb

OK sounds good it's the only rifle I have besides a old 22 single **** bolt action. I just clean it religiously. The problem I have here is the humidity is just so high. Even in my air con home. I may have to get a safe
And silica gel. It can be placed in an oven with the pilot light on to remove the moisture, and it is ready again.

Blue Collar Reloading has Starline brass right now. Not cheap……but, brass is not cheap anywhere! memtb

Sold out. So either he bought it or some other 375 lover got it. lol

In the years that I've owned a Win M94 Big Bore in .375Win I've never seen Winchester make ammo for it. Other ammo mfg's also list it, again I've never seen them actually make it. When they make it, Buffalo Bore .38-55 ammo can be shot in .375 Win rifles. See their page for the details:

If you want to shoot it, reloading is going to be your best bet. Especially given the low power requirement of the 99. As reloading goes it's a fairly simple cartridge to reload. At low power the cases should last nearly forever, so you don't need a lot of them. And low power cases can easily be made from abundant .30-30 cases. I have occasionally seen these in stock: https://eabco.com/375-winchester-brass-for-reloading-50/ They are made from unfired .30-30 brass.

The only model 99 I ever saw in .375 was a wildcat. For a while in the 50's and early 60's a few gunsmiths were taking .284 Win cases and necking them up to .375 and using them in converted .300 Savage 99's for close range protection rifles. I have never seen one in .375 Win. One thing I do know about the older 99's from my experience is they can be finicky when it comes feeding if you aren't using the original caliber.

Sold out. So either he bought it or some other 375 lover got it. lol

That's disappointing……they usually have it if posted. Perhaps just sold out.

The only thing, at this time, I'm using .375 Win. brass for is for my shot shell loads in my 460 S&W. I'm glad that I have enough to last a long time! 😉 memtb

In the years that I've owned a Win M94 Big Bore in .375Win I've never seen Winchester make ammo for it. Other ammo mfg's also list it, again I've never seen them actually make it. When they make it, Buffalo Bore .38-55 ammo can be shot in .375 Win rifles. See their page for the details:

If you want to shoot it, reloading is going to be your best bet. Especially given the low power requirement of the 99. As reloading goes it's a fairly simple cartridge to reload. At low power the cases should last nearly forever, so you don't need a lot of them. And low power cases can easily be made from abundant .30-30 cases. I have occasionally seen these in stock: https://eabco.com/375-winchester-brass-for-reloading-50/ They are made from unfired .30-30 brass.
I have 5 boxes of Winchester Super X 200 gr. And a few boxes of reloads all Win brass.

Recent Posts