Savage barrel specs

YOSEPPY

Does anyone know what conture a factory savage barrel is?? I'm wanting to get a pac nor number 6 for my savage 110 and I want to know how much I'll have to take out of the bell and Carlson stock In order for it to fit

Seppy, most hunter models are #2 contour. You will be sanding B&C stock a while to fit a #6 or better yet sell it and order a new one to fit. I've seen some opened to larger contour which looked crappy and some looked fine. The old dowel with sand paper and a lot of patients seems to be key. Good luck

I agree with Dosh, it's a lot of work to get it opened up. It can be done, just take your time. I would find a wood worker that has the tools to do it neatly.... My Father in law opened one up for me, and it looks factory. He is a skilled woodworker/furniture maker though...

That's what I was afraid of. I can't find a stock that has a heavy barrel channel for a 110 staggered feed. Best I can come up with is a sporter or McMillan. Wanting to stay on the cheaper side since this is a budget build.

So, Boyd's doesn't have any? That's disappointing, I was going to rebarrel to a heavy barrel. I guess i could go with a detachable mag, I see a lot of them...

I was wrong!! Boyd's does have one... When I first looked I didn't see it... I'll blame it on old age.... Won't work I'm only 25 but I'll still try haha

Lol, that's good news for you and me, I'm researching barrels and was going to get a varmint contour, thinking Boyd's would have one... It's another $250.00 or more by the time I bought the bottom metal and magazine to convert to detachable mag... Didn't really want to spend money on that, when it's shot single shot most of the time...

These are both Boyds stocks. Not hard to do, just took time and patience.

Attachments

• Gen2completion 029.JPG
    Gen2completion 029.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 49
These are both Boyds stocks. Not hard to do, just took time and patience.

Both look nice! Are your barrels combat grey Dura Cote ?
As for OP's? I just purchased a Boyd's Pro Varmit for my 116 338 WM w/factory mag contour. It seems to clear without pillars and bedding action yet. So, I should have more than enough room and not have to remove any material.
Just for reference anyone with factory centerfeed hinged floorplate or detachable mags the listed centerfeed long action with bottom metal are same inletting. At least on Boyd's Pro Varmit.

Gene

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.