sako trg-s 7 stw trist rate

dale thames

Anybody have an idea what the twist rate Sako puts on a 7mm STW ? it is on a TRG-s. I am looking to reload, and need to know if a heavier bullet(160gr)or lighter(140gr) would be better. I was told that it makes a difference .

z28,

I'd recommend you check it with a cleaning rod and snug fitting patch. I have a TRG-S in .338 Lapua and the specs from Sako declare it as a 1:12" twist but it is not!! Mine has a 1:10" twist, which I'm happy about but they obviously printed the wrong specs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Good Shooting, Festus

z28,

The Sako specs for the TRG-S in 7mm STW say it is a 1:9.5" twist. These are the same specs that listed mine incorrectly so like I said, better to check it yourself.

Festus

Sometimes you surprise yourself with what will and will not work - I also always look at the numbers and go from there, but lots of the time it seems people are surprised by what may stabilise despite what is "supposed" to work.

I'd say try the bullets you'd like to use - within limits of course. Bear in mind that faster bullets (like form a STW) imply faster twist (rpm).

Checked my M995 TRG-S manual last night (your daytime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) it lists it at 1 in 9.5", if that helps any.

A 1 in 9 twist means the bullet completes one revolution every nine inches. a 1 in 12 means it completes one revolution every foot. So yes, a 1 in nine is a faster twist than a one in twelve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.