Sako TRG action, is it a good one??

Flinch

I have a Sako TRG magnum action that is currently a 7mm mag. I LOVE the smoothness and tight tollerances of the action and safety. Does anyone know if McMillan makes a stock for this action? Is this a good platform for a custom long range rifle? The action is PLENTY long enough for about anything out there. My concern is the plactic bottom material. It would also need a remington "sandwich" type recoil lug. Any suggestions? Flinch

Dave King

Ronin Rifles

I also have a Sako TRG in 300 Win Mag. I also like the smoothness of the bolt. I met someone at our local range that converted one to single feed 338/378 Weatherby. He had a McMillan A-3 Stock, I think. I heard he paid big bucks for it, and waited a long time. ($750, over 6-months) I plan on getting a mill and lathe or using a friends mill or lathe and making a scope rail, slotted if possible, and rebarrelling it to a fatter and longer barrel, maybe in 338 Lapua Imp. or one of the 404 based 30 calibers. Also plan on doing the pillar bedding, in stainless steel pillars. May also sell it, if I get a good price and try to buy a Sako 75 action and do all the custom things on it.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce