• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Sako L61R aftermarket stock

bonecollector777

Long shot but looking for any type of aftermarket stock that fits a Sako L61R action. Just about impossible to find but wanted to try here before I had to get a mcmillan custom inletted.

Thanks!

I'm about to order a AG adj. alpine hunter blank and have a guy inlay it for my 1968 L61r. I feel your pain.

I'd ike to know what you come up with. My forearm on my 7Mag warped, the recoil pad hardened like a rock, and had to replace the stock a few years ago. Manners wouldn't inlet for one and I don't believe McMillan would either at the time. I wound up just going with a wood laminate stocky's thumb hole stock.
D5B16798-AAA6-4A4D-BE05-3814FC14A154.png

I'd ike to know what you come up with. My forearm on my 7Mag warped, the recoil pad hardened like a rock, and had to replace the stock a few years ago. Manners wouldn't inlet for one and I don't believe McMillan would either at the time. I wound up just going with a wood laminate stocky's thumb hole stock. View attachment 360725
The forearm warp is exactly what happened to mine. All the sudden it couldn't shoot straight no matter what I did. I could see the stock pushing on the barrel on one side of barrel channel so I took off a little material to give it space and within one week it had warped even more that it was touching again. Currently I believe the only aftermarket options are Boyd's gunstocks but I'm not a fan of laminate stocks. Stocky stocks doesn't even have any options for it anymore.

Currently looking like I will be buying a flat top (non inletted) mcmillan stock and sending it to long rifles Inc to have it custom inletted for $375.

AG will sell you any blank you like and after it's inlayed send it back to them for any color of your choose. Pan is awesome to deal with there.

The forearm warp is exactly what happened to mine. All the sudden it couldn't shoot straight no matter what I did. I could see the stock pushing on the barrel on one side of barrel channel so I took off a little material to give it space and within one week it had warped even more that it was touching again. Currently I believe the only aftermarket options are Boyd's gunstocks but I'm not a fan of laminate stocks. Stocky stocks doesn't even have any options for it anymore.

Currently looking like I will be buying a flat top (non inletted) mcmillan stock and sending it to long rifles Inc to have it custom inletted for $375.
Mine warped so bad that it pressed against the side of my barrel and broke a piece off as well as rubbed my blueing off where it bound. As soon as I took it off there was/still is zero warping lol. Was such a sharp looking stock too.

The Stocky's stock (Boyds I believe) isn't light at 42oz, but was my only option that I could find. I could definitely save some weight by going carbon or edge fill. I like the looks of them but not the weight. It looks like Stocky's doesn't offer them for the L61R as you've stated. I was going to have mine rebarreled/chambered in a 264WM, but for now just had the laminated stock put on and bedded as well as cerekoted in Titanium w/black trim pieces.

Post up pics, weights, and details when you guys get them replaced. Looking forward to see the outcomes.

@Fubarredz what is the weight on your rifle? What barrel and length? Looks good.
66E89E0C-E7BD-4ACC-B672-55E5D9464022.jpeg
737FCCEB-CE5B-484D-ADC9-999E77A0998C.jpeg
C66EDA23-1CE6-44BB-94E6-FE564B1F914F.png
26F1BB6A-684A-4E7C-93E2-77132650ADB8.png

Keep in mind any stock that fits L61R's, L691 and AV's are interchangeable and have the same hole-hole dimension for the action screws. The only hitch is the longer rear tang cutout for the AV but that doesn't cause anything but a cosmetic flaw for the other two actions.

I have a full rifle for sale if someone wants to make a cash or trade offer.