Sako AV Dovetail base removal

merbeau

Hi

Just purchased a Sako Picatinny rail from Neal manufacturing which I will want to mount. What is currently on the rifle is a set of Leupold standard base/rings. As you can see from the attached photo had no problem removing the front base. Used a wooden dowel and rubber hammer. Punched toward magazine and it came off rather quickly. My problem is the back base.

I would assume that removing it requires punching the base toward the magazine. Correct? I do not see any set screws or other fastening attachments. Just need clarrification. Do not want to mash the base in the wrong direction.

Attachments

• Sako AV.jpg
    Sako AV.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 321
NO! NO! The Sako dovetails both widen to the front. Take your wood and hammer and drive it toward the butt of the rifle. They are designed so the inertia weight of the scope and rings, As the rifle kicks keeps wedging both bases tighter on the receiver. Bought my first Sako in 63.

NO! NO! The Sako dovetails both widen to the front. Take your wood and hammer and drive it toward the butt of the rifle. They are designed so the inertia weight of the scope and rings, As the rifle kicks keeps wedging both bases tighter on the receiver. Bought my first Sako in 63.

Thanks for the information and reply. Have not made a significant effort yet to remove - wanted to wait for answer like you provided. Thank you. My first Sako so everything is a little new.

Robert

Lone traveler and Scott.

Success.! I gave the base a good rap with my rubber mallet striking the base and pushing toward the butt end of the stock and it came off without any issue.s. Thanks again for your help it is much appreciated.

Stay safe and have a great day.

Robert

Glad I could be of assistance.
My 1962 Sako Forester came with a front sight and a peep sight that fitted on the back dovetail. Removed the back base a few times to prove the peep was still zeroed in.

Glad I could be of assistance.
My 1962 Sako Forester came with a front sight and a peep sight that fitted on the back dovetail. Removed the back base a few times to prove the peep was still zeroed in.

I can see why it would stay true. There is a lot of work into the dovetail. One of the reasons probably why Sako firearms are a little more expensive. This my first 'true Sako'. I have a Browning Safari made in Finland given to me by my father. When I called Browning they indicated the reciever is a Sako L579, although there are no dovetail rails on top but rather standard mount holes.

I really like this forum. Always users willing/trying to help and friendly.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.