Sako 75 Finnlight 300WSM Advice

Ranger260

Greetings! I'm a longtime lurker on this forum, and new to Sakos, but I am familiar with their reputation. I was hoping the experienced members of this group could give me some advice and information regarding a rifle I have stumbled upon. I currently own a Browning A-Bolt II Composite Stalker 30-06 that has been my go-to rifle for deer and elk. Given that I will be doing more elk hunting, I was considering stepping up to a magnum, namely a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm RM. However, today I walked into a local gun shop and found what I believe is a Sako 75 Finnlight that is in good shape in 300WSM. The action was stamped "Sako SM" and it was a fluted SS barrel/action with a black synthetic stock with gray grip panels. I had not considered a Sako since they are frankly out of my budget. However, I was shocked to see that this rifle was marked down from $899 to $500!! This got my attention to say the least...

I did not purchase this rifle because I did not know what I was getting myself into (not an impulse buyer), but I am now kicking myself now that I have seen that these rifles easily go $800-$1000 or more USED. My biggest concern is buying a lemon. Is this too good to be true? Are there any known problems with this model? I figure the action and parts are worth that much if it is a functioning rifle that may have some accuracy issues.

What can I expect from this rifle if I do my part? What kind of accuracy are you achieveing with the Sakos? What kind of long range potential do you see in this lightweight rifle (in my world this means 500 yards and beyond)? Obviously, my marksmanship skills are the biggest factor, along with quality ammo that is suited to this rifle.

Are there any issues I should be concerned with this model rifle before purchasing? I am a little concerned about the punishing recoil of a 300WSM in such a light rifle. I did not plan to put a muzzlebrake on this rifle, but I may have to take this into consideration. That said, I have shot Brownings in 300WM and found them manageable for short strings of fire, although not comfortable (I am not particularly recoil sensitive). Since I reload, I figure that I could "download" the 300WSM or use lighter projectiles to tame the recoil. Or just flip the rifle and sell it if it doesn't work out for me, since it seems like a deal I should not pass up.

Are there any other considerations I should make with this rifle, such as reloading for it or buying rings/mounts, or restocking, etc.? Is this action a good host for rebarreling to another caliber? If so, what calibers?

I am thinking of showing up at the shop 1st thing in the morning to buy this rifle, so this is a spur-of-the moment purchase. I am hoping you all could cut down on my research time. Thank you for any information that you could give me before purchasing this rifle.

Do not hesitate!!!!!! Those rifles are absolutely incredible. I have owned a couple Sakos and they all shot really well. A good friend of mine owns that exact finnlight and one in 260 rem. His 300 WSM shoots steady 1/2"-3/4" with Winchester supremes. I helped him sight it in the very first time. I shot the first shot ever out of his rifle 3" left of bullseye. He swabbed it (he is a break in freak) and I fired a second shot. It missed the paper entirely. He was so angry I thought he was going to throw the rifle. We walked up to the target just to look and that hole that was 3" left went from .308 diameter to about .500. It shot literally in the same hole. This has been repeated several times. And the best news: recoil is very manageable. I'm not going to say it's absent totally but if you have ever shot a 30-06 you will be fine. Sako makes a fine rifle. I think the only reason they don't get a bigger following is because they are a little more expensive and they offer only basic chamberings. And one last note: go cycle the action once. They are smooth as glass.

Sako 75's are good rifles. That and a t3 are my personal favorite rifles.

300 wsm's are typically a good shooting cartridge that may buck a little more in a light rifle, but i wouldnt think it would be unmanagable. I would put a brake on before i downloaded the wsm.

Congrats on your find, sounds like a good deal.

Morning, I had the same model sako, in a 7mmrem. now the rifle is

a 257 STW. shoots 1 hole. I researched sako rifles. evidently the sako's r

very well made. 1 major problem is finding parts and people who know how

to repair these rifles. Sako's used to b made in Finnland. That was 5 years ago.

I have never had a problem with my rifle. Would I buy another of this

model? absolutely!! THK. U lightbulb:)gun)

Thanks for your thoughts guys! I went back to the shop and the gun was still there. After speaking with the gunsmith, I pounced on the deal for the Sako! What I found out was that the gun belonged to the owner of the gunshop and had less then 100 rounds through it. I had a friend (fellow Sako owner) look the gun over with a bore scope. He described the barrel as "pristine".

As far as installing a muzzlebrake, the smith stated that he felt there would not be enough "meat" left on the barrel after threading, and probably would not recommend installing a brake.

I am excited to get this rifle out to the range and see what it can do. Unfortunately, I still need to procure some rings and bases in order to mount a scope. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.

Sako has their own ring system. Optilok??? Anyway it is a great system. The only strange thing is that you can mount a 50mm objective in "low" or "med" rings. So don't buy highs.

I have a Sako 75/308, 85/270, Tikka 243,22-250, & 300WM and all are 3/8 to 3/4 shooters. You won't be sorry. I have changed out all of the original mounts with Talley light weight rings which I much prefer. I was having accuracy problems with the 75 and a gunsmith told me practically all accuracy issues he had ever seen with Sakos were due to the factory mounts. Not so much the rings but the base mounts. I have not had any issues since changing to Talley.

I have a Sako 75/308, 85/270, Tikka 243,22-250, & 300WM and all are 3/8 to 3/4 shooters. You won't be sorry. I have changed out all of the original mounts with Talley light weight rings which I much prefer. I was having accuracy problems with the 75 and a gunsmith told me practically all accuracy issues he had ever seen with Sakos were due to the factory mounts. Not so much the rings but the base mounts. I have not had any issues since changing to Talley.

A friend of mine that has a Sako 75 has offered me a set of Leupold rings/mounts. I have not been impressed with those, but it's a means to an end in order for me to mount a scope and function test and check for accuracy. I like your suggestion of Talleys and may follow up on your recommendation prior to next hunting season.

Do not hesitate!!!!!! Those rifles are absolutely incredible. I have owned a couple Sakos and they all shot really well. A good friend of mine owns that exact finnlight and one in 260 rem. His 300 WSM shoots steady 1/2"-3/4" with Winchester supremes. I helped him sight it in the very first time. I shot the first shot ever out of his rifle 3" left of bullseye. He swabbed it (he is a break in freak) and I fired a second shot. It missed the paper entirely. He was so angry I thought he was going to throw the rifle. We walked up to the target just to look and that hole that was 3" left went from .308 diameter to about .500. It shot literally in the same hole. This has been repeated several times. And the best news: recoil is very manageable. I'm not going to say it's absent totally but if you have ever shot a 30-06 you will be fine. Sako makes a fine rifle. I think the only reason they don't get a bigger following is because they are a little more expensive and they offer only basic chamberings. And one last note: go cycle the action once. They are smooth as glass.

DONE!! Do not pass go...submit $500:D:D. I can only hope for the same accuracy. And the action...smooth as butter...the rifle is like a Tikka on steroids...so many nice touches:)

Sako 75's are good rifles. That and a t3 are my personal favorite rifles.

300 wsm's are typically a good shooting cartridge that may buck a little more in a light rifle, but i wouldnt think it would be unmanagable. I would put a brake on before i downloaded the wsm.

Congrats on your find, sounds like a good deal.

I'm going to start with a Limbsaver recoil pad, since the factory pad is hard as a rock. Hopefully that will tame the beast. I prefer not to have to wear hearing protection before taking the shot. And I agree with not downloading the ammo, otherwise I mine as well stick to 30-06.

I own and have taken many deer with my Sako 75 300wsm Finnlight. I shoot 150gr and 180gr and recoil is not bad at all...especially with the 150gr. Mine has factory installed Limbsaver on it...it is over 10yrs old and still absorbs great. Great deal...you did very good.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.