Saddle panniers

Woody26

Well to start off, I drew a type 1 tag in Wyo and it sounds like we are taking only horses in to try and get away from the crowd. I was wondering which panniers you guys are using, and why you like them.

Thanks

Woody26

We run both panniers and manty loads and value them both. The panniers we have were custom built and out of a water resistant, kind of a vinyl coated canvas for a lack of a better description. They're simple and durable, but no where to be found in my search. That said, if I were to buy panniers today, I would buy from Mountain Ridge Gear or from Custom Pack Rigging Ltd. I believe these two companies are offering the finest engineered, designed and built rigging based on my relatively limited, but purposeful experience.

The above mentioned also makes the panniers that fit over a saddle. I have a set of them and they work fairly well. Always preferred the type that have flap that goes over the top of the panniers. If you have bad weather it helps keep the moisture out. Some times you can score a fairly good buy on eBay. Good luck with your hunt, be safe and enjoy.

This is what we have been using for several years .....they work well.
https://www.amazon.com/TrailMax-Pac...t=&hvlocphy=9015228&hvtargid=pla-571202561665

The poly liners is what makes these work well.

We do not use the top pack. Instead we use a Military duffel bag(clothes, sleeping bag, pad, food) on top of each pannier. The tent and any other misc gear goes in another military duffel bag in the middle(on the saddle seat area). Then we use a 2" ratchet strap (attached to the center buclkle on side of pannier) to pull the load up off the horses sides. As with any panniers, the weight on each side needs to be close otherwise it will shift. The poly lines are good for checking the weight and balancing the load...do it at home and mark what stuff goes in each pannier.

https://smile.amazon.com/Military-O...550946166&sr=1-3&keywords=military+duffel+bag

The cheaper Trail Maxx pannier for $99 does not have the center buckle or the extra webbing support at bottom corners.

We use the center duffel bag to put our food in and then use a rope to hang it in a tree.

Last edited:
Looks like there are plenty of options! I was actually looking at the trail Max when I found Davis Tent. I really like the looks, capacity and price. I'm hoping it can be rolled up and tied behind the saddle when hunting. Tell me what you guys think.
https://www.davistent.com/product/250-saddle-pannier/

A buddy of mine will already have camp set up, so all we have to pack in is our clothes, cots/sleeping bags and gear.

I appreciate all the recommendations! Keep them coming

Woody, I have a couple sets similar to the Davis. One canvas with top strap and one Morgan I believe. Yes, they do roll up and fit behind the saddle.

Those Davis panniers look pretty nice! If you end up going with them, you'll have plenty of room for gear if you approach the trip like a luxury backpack trip. Make sure your loads are balanced and go have a great hunt!

I agree Arkel are the Gold Standard (mine, anyway , .. and what else matters?) Thing is, when the time came and the real world (as in wallet) weigh ed in ... or came in underweight ... I had to opt for a few sets of something less excellent over a lifetime instead on one pair of the best (Plus I want the superhuge set with the bedroll bag, and they are less than practical for most commutes.)

For what you describe ... almost anything. You could even put the sleeping bag in a stuff sack in a dry bag and hang it off the bars or forks.

Not meaning to pry ... but what kind of trip are you planning? Sounds okay for CC touring ... of you are absolutely certain of the weather and have your tools/tubes in a seat bag or something.

I wore out a set of canvas saddle panyards over a 30 year period. They work great for what you are looking for. Remember to get a lash cinch and manilla rope to tie the load to the horse and not to the saddle! I always liked a 3" metal ring and used that in making a modified box hitch. Diamond hitches work great with boxes but in your case I prefer the ring hitch. Tom

It depends how heavy and bulky your load is. if you are using the panniers that fit over a saddle they are good for light loads or one way meat pack outs if you have good gentle stock. They are not real good for long distance or frequent packing.

If you think you will do this more buy a good pack saddle with canvas or hard panniers.

If its just a one time deal the saddle panniers will work ok. I use them when I do day rides from the truck so I can save on one trip.

If you are planning on doing this a lot I agree with Plinker147 in buying a good pack saddle. If you are only going to do this a couple times the saddle panniers work ok imo.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.