Sabot yes or no

Same laws in Idaho as in CO.
I like it!
Archery and Muzzle loaders should stay as primitive as possible. IMO

One's opinion. However, if states that now allow more modern rifles and bows, went back to primitive, their license sales would immediately dwindle and the wildlife wouldn't be managed as well and likely suffer.
That same idea is what is keeping large organizations like the NMLRA from increasing memberships, while the average member age is now over 70yrs young.
Still using a rotary phone?????

I do u understand what you are saying and it has great merit. However, the other side of the coin is that with unlimited technology helping to increase hunter success rates will eventually be cause for shorter seasons.
A catch 22 I guess.

I do u understand what you are saying and it has great merit. However, the other side of the coin is that with unlimited technology helping to increase hunter success rates will eventually be cause for shorter seasons.
A catch 22 I guess.
Then its great management of our wildlife. I see no reason why a hunter with a flintlock can not hunt with the rifle of his/her choice, yet respect the modern inline hunter and his/her choice. Neither has an affect on the other, only in people's minds. I know hunters that only use muzzleloaders, even during the general rifle season. If it loads from the muzzle, its a muzzleloader. Note...……… inline muzzleloaders go back a LONG WAYS. ;)

Oh dont take that wrong, I dont think ill or disrespect anyones choice of weapon, each to their own. I was just saying.
My Boys and I hunt with Longbows and arrows that we build ourselves yet all our buddy's use compound. And aside from the usual jabbing we all get along just fine!! :)

I believe in Choices not Laws! If you want to use a Flintlock.. Cool use it!
I prefer my inline with scope!
My friend knapps his own flint points I use stainless steel? His H.Hill bow is wood
mine is aluminum and carbon? Use what you want but leave me alone!
States with stupid rules get Zero of my money and never will!

Last edited:
I am frustrated with Utah and the rules for "muzzle loaders" here, scopes, sabots, pellet powder, you name it you can use it here.
Here in Louisiana they allow single shot centerfire rifles during the primitive season as long as the cartridge is 35 caliber or larger. I remember the days when it was no inline muzzleloaders and no scopes. I killed quite a few deer with my 54 caliber Hawkins.

Here in Louisiana they allow single shot centerfire rifles during the primitive season as long as the cartridge is 35 caliber or larger. I remember the days when it was no inline muzzleloaders and no scopes. I killed quite a few deer with my 54 caliber Hawkins.

Yup, I started back in "73" traditional. Once I get all I can get out of a rifle, I seem to want to move on. Went through a lot of different processes and rifles since starting.
Once I moved on to more modern, I rarely went back to traditional. From modern inlines, to long range, now to complete custom, which should be here soon :)
I still buy a traditional rifle now and again, but only an exceptional deal and one I know I can turn over quickly, make a few bucks on and buy more supplies. It sometimes amazes me the deals on traditional rifles one can find at a garage sale. IMO my best find was a .36cal TC Seneca that was like NIB condition with the original manual. Picked that baby up for $125! A friend has drooled over that rifle for a couple years and wanted it BAD. He's now the new owner after becoming $650 lighter ;)

Its what ever makes a guy/gal happy and you can afford. I would never talk down or feel less about anyone using a flint, percussion, or a modern inline. As long as we get people interested, get the youngsters involved, we're all making progress. Embrace it all! There's to **** much against us these days.

I now use a CVA Accura in 50 caliber with 270 grain Platinum Power Belt bullets. It is deadly out to 250 yards. The trigger on the Accura is fantastic and the accuracy is excellent due to the Bergara barrel. It is an early model with the thumbhole camo stock and fluted Bergara stainless steel barrel. 3- 50 grain Triple Seven pellets does the trick.

I shoot a TC Prohunter with a 45 cal Brux barrel and smokeless powder, large rifle magnum primer and no sabot.
The bullets do need to be sized to fit the barrel.
Using a sabot makes fitting (and sealing) the bullet to the barrel easier but you can run higher pressures and velocity without the sabot.

I hunt with a flintlock (.50 or 54.) during the Wisconsin muzzleloader season even though inlines w/scopes are legal. After taking 2or 3 whitetail during the regular gun season with a centerfire and handloads at extended range, it is extremely satisfying to return to our roots and hunt with a firearm that (besides freeing a nation) demands attention to details and close encounters for success. No issue with "modern" muzzloaders, just not on my land.

Attitudes like tree farmer is exactly why we post and call the law if we see anyone on our 650 acres in WV. We can play that My Land crap as well as anyone else!
We used to let people hunt but Townies started moving in with their BS "we love the animals" crap. They started posting and so did we. So now I deliberately try to **** them off. Last year I was doing some maintenance on the place and was spraying the poison ivy on the fence by the road. One of the Lexus driving nuts stopped and said "You shouldn't be spraying Roundup all over" I said Roundup doesn't kill it..I'm using #2 diesel fuel! I thought she was having a stroke!!

Last edited:
What the...? Not sure you got my point. I'm a black powder traditionalist. I build flintlocks and enjoy finding the best load (powder charge, patch/ball combination, patch lube, etc.). I let other muzzleloading traditionalists hunt my land (my rule is no inlines). Regarding centerfire and archery, whatever floats your boat. I use Garlon and #2 diesel to kill the tough stuff.

I'm sorry sometimes I don't express myself the way I mean it. But if I invite you to hunt I'm doing it so we can all hang out not because of your rifle? My buddy made a rifle
Flintlock crazy slow twist makes his own flints powder horn? His nephew brings a Bad Bull so we cover the bases.

Last edited:
Everything's good. If I'm going to shoot a deer @ 250 yds, it will be with a centerfire. Usually it's from an elevated blind overlooking a corn/bean field. Flinters, on the other hand, are under 60 yds in heavy cover. After 3 months of open season, does are on constant red alert and are a challenge in close. And that's what we enjoy. Maybe not for everyone. We are carrying over 60 deer per sq. mile and work hard to kill as many does as possible. Our group only shot 15 deer this past season and should've killed more (I can only eat so many). But we still do it ethically.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.