Rules for New Mexico

royinidaho

What are the requirements if an out of stater who wants to shoot a yote in NM?

It looks as if I'll be in the Los Alamos area from early Jan through September.

There's bound to be an opportunity to work in a calling session or two......

The Game and Fish site was of very little help regarding coyotes (actually no help at all)

Last edited:
Hey Roy,

I go over to New Mexico every year for an annual coyote safari. You need a Nonresident Nongame license. They are $65 and good for one year.

You cannot take foxes or bobcats with it!

Good Hunting,

Bob

Here is something to wet your appetite.

New Mexico Coyotes

NMCoyotes-1.jpg

Scruffy depends on the time of year and location. There are some places where if you hunt early in the year. Here is one shot around September. Down here September is still warm, and the coats are still crappy, this was also a real old dog that needed denturs to eat with. Teeth were almost gone. I called in 10 yesterday that all looked real pretty. Took a 17hmr and it was windy, poor choice of caliber in that wind so no shots were taken.
huntingphotos005.jpg

I didn't intend to "put down" the NM coyote. Around here I'm only concerned with gettin' 'em dead.

Our local deer population, in my back yard, is way down. Yotes are way up.....

I have only between now and new years to do some thinning.

Then its off to Los Alamos......

If you were interested in taking a fox, bobcat or other "protected furbearer" that may come to your call the non-resident license fee is $345. Just throwing that out there, it's hard to pass up a pretty fox or bobcat that comes to your coyote call. Nov 1 - Mar 15 are the open dates for protected furbearer.

Then again, it would be easier to pass up when it is $345. That just seems like a lot of money for a potential fox or bobcat.............

If it were hunting season and you held a nonresident hunting license it is free. Otherwise you need a non-game hunting license, does not cover protected furbearers. Watch out for the area around Los Alamos as a lot of Los Alamos county is closed due to LANL. We also had another big fire this year up there and from what I understand is the forest may not be opened up yet. Check with the FS to see if they still have the burned area closed. If you were in the area between Socorro and Belen I could give you an area or two to check out.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.