Ruger American info and thoughts

archanfire

Hello all, I hope you are all well. I am looking at purchasing either a Ruger American Hunter or a American 'Go Wild' in 308. Both options have a Magpul stock, but I am wondering if there are any mechanical differences/one shoots better than the other and if anyone here has experience with either(fit/finish, accuracy etc.) Any info would be appreciated. Thanks and have a great weekend!

I am wondering if there are any mechanical differences/one shoots better than the other and if anyone here has experience with either
Unless I'm mistaken they are the same rifle, one just a different color and has a muzzle brake. If so, pick your flavor.
The "regular" one I had a few years back in 30-06 shot little bitty groups.

I have one in the standard Ruger American they shoot lights out I did a betting job on mine check your action screws make sure they're up to torque
I know every rifle is different, but what grain of ammo does yours prefer; Heavy or light? Thanks

I've got an American Predator (just the color) in .243 Win it shoots Federal Fusion 95gr very well. Once I got into reloading I started shooting 95gr Berger VLD and it shoots those great also.

I've owned quite a few Ruger Americans, and have sold all of them. They shoot really well but I can never get past their cheap feel.
Fair enough. I own a rem700, how do they stack up? I was lucky enough to get a decent Remington(bought new about 10yrs ago), so how do you think they stack up? What feels cheap about the ruger to you (stock, fit/finish etc)?
Thanks

Edit: I've never handled a high end bolt rig, so my rem700 is kinda my benchmark. I'm currently eyeing a Browning abolt ab3, but haven't had a chance to look it over yet...

Fair enough. I own a rem700, how do they stack up? I was lucky enough to get a decent Remington(bought new about 10yrs ago), so how do you think they stack up? What feels cheap about the ruger to you (stock, fit/finish etc)?
Thanks

Edit: I've never handled a high end bolt rig, so my rem700 is kinda my benchmark. I'm currently eyeing a Browning abolt ab3, but haven't had a chance to look it over yet...

I'm probably biased because I've always been a Remington guy. I've hunted with 700s and 7s for most of my life and just overall like the rifles.

The stock on the Rugers is flimsy, you can press the foreend to the barrel. The triggers are a 2 stage trigger that I'm not a fan of, but it works. And the rifles are cheap so I keep trying them LOL

I'm probably biased because I've always been a Remington guy. I've hunted with 700s and 7s for most of my life and just overall like the rifles.

The stock on the Rugers is flimsy, you can press the foreend to the barrel. The triggers are a 2 stage trigger that I'm not a fan of, but it works. And the rifles are cheap so I keep trying them LOL
Fair enough😅. Glad to hear yours shot straight. It ust so happens that's a quality I look for in a firearm 😁👍

Last edited:

I put a Timney trigger in mine. That was a huge improvement. I did open up the forend a bit for more clearance. I also added a Kydex cheek piece. For the price they are good rifles. I do barely shoot it anymore I've gone to a couple customs and a couple tikkas. I still keep it as a good loaner rifle